17| Past, Present

『ARC TWO: CAREFUL STEPS』

✧ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✦✧✦ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✧

Contrary to many beliefs, Souta and Kiyoko were good parents before their children acquired their Quirks. The twin's parents owned and worked at an underground bar. Albeit the twins did not know what underground meant when they were younger.

Their parents worked with shady people and sold information from one Villain to another. They never wanted to fall into this business but their records were already so deep in murky waters due to some majorly bad decisions taken during their teenage and young adult years. It was a desperate and futile attempt to make money for a living when no one wanted to hire two adults with an extensive criminal record. One day, Souta had made a deal with one of the biggest underground bosses in exchange for a large sum of money.

As expected, this deal backfired after he sold false information to the boss. Because of this, the two parents were left in heavy debt. And even with this heavy weight on their shoulders, the Yamas never spoke a single word of their misdeeds with their children. They never brought their kids to their work, frightened senseless at the thought of some Villain harming them.

Their parents did their absolute best for their children before they turned four. They did everything they could to keep them away from their hideous lives.

Kiyoko always adored her children and never allowed the stress of her husband's decisions to cloud her mind. She thought that she could never do any harm to the two little kids that she birthed. They were her own flesh and blood.

Kiyoko's fingers threaded through the heavy and thick lavender hair that protruded from her daughter's scalp. It was not sleek, hard, and glassy as it would be in the near future. The woman hummed a quiet tune, an old nursery rhyme that she learned while she was pregnant. Sitting on a stool, Tanami stared quietly at her reflection in the mirror, gazing curiously at the diamond-shaped irises she and her brother shared.

Laying down on the twin-sized bed off to the side was Akihiko. He was fiddling with a stuffed bear, jabbing its nose with his finger and sometimes tucking a pesky strand of lavender hair behind his ear. He would pout at times when the bear tumbled off the bed and he had to carefully reach for it without falling off the bed himself.

Narrowing her aqua-colored eyes in concentration, Kiyoko broke apart Tanami's hair into three parts. She skillfully braided her hair and topped the end off with a pretty pink ribbon. Huffing in victory, the woman placed her hands on her hips with a smile. For some odd reason, both of her children's hair were difficult to style. The strands would cling together as if the two decided to dip their hair in maple syrup to glue it together and it weighed more than hair normally did.

She questioned the two multiple times, worried that the weight atop of their heads caused a painful pressure or strain on their necks. The twins always said no so she did not pursue it further. Souta always said that it could be a sign of a future Quirk developing. She wondered what their Quirks could be. Her Quirk was simply the manipulation of reflective surfaces and Souta's was the detection of whether or not crystals were pure or fake. Kiyoko's Quirk was more suited toward fighting and she at least hoped that her children would acquire a power to defend themselves.