Part 6: Practice Makes Perfect

a/n: it's a bit all over the place but mhm! New chapter... I didn't openly discuss it but I cut some parts to make it go faster bc this series is SLOW.

warnings: hospital mention, death...joke?

Leaning on the rail you watch Reki and Langa discuss the race from last night, picking at your nails while you wait for them to finish

Leaning on the rail you watch Reki and Langa discuss the race from last night, picking at your nails while you wait for them to finish. Your phone buzzes in your pocket, feeling immediate dread when Kojiro's contact pops up.

"Hello?" You ask, holding the phone up to your ear as you glance at the two boys. "Kojiro?"

Silence fills his end of the line as he lets out a breath. "Hey, Y/n." Is all he says after a moment, nervous coughs sounding every so often. "Um, Kaoru said you wanted to talk? Or something?"

You nod, although he couldn't see you, lifting your hand to your lips. "Yeah, yeah I wanted to talk to both of you, in person actually. I think it'd be good, uh, better than talking on the phone even though it'd be easier to just do that."

"Oh, oh okay. Do you want to come by the restaurant then? You, me, and Kaoru can have dinner after hours." He suggests.

"Yeah! Yeah okay, that sounds good. I'll see you then, okay?"

"Mhm, Bye."

You wait for the line to click before pocketing your phone, letting out a sigh before you walk back to the stairs– only to see Reki send Langa speeding down the hill with an unenthusiastic push. Reki jumps with excitement when Langa makes a perfect turn, his smile quickly fading when he doesn't stop.

"Langa, Langa look out!" He shouted, holding his head in his hands.

You took out your phone, taking a glimpse at the time. "Langa Hasegawa. Time of death, eleven thirty-five am."

Your joke earned you a punch on the arm from both of them.

-

Now sitting on the ledge beside the bike racks behind the school, you watch Reki instruct Langa how to properly stand on the board, an amused smile crossing your face when Reki offers his hand.

"You got scared," Reki said, stepping towards the board. "The second you put your second foot on, your center of gravity shifted."

"You two make it look so easy." Langa sighed, tossing his head back.

"Practice makes perfect." You said, swinging one of your legs.

Reki turned to you, "Speaking of, since you took such a long break, you'd have to start practicing the basics again."

"I can manage."

He raised a brow, "You fell last time."

"And you caught me." You retaliated, leaning back on your hands. "I'll be okay."

He gives you one final look before he goes back to teaching langa.

-

Laying on the grass, you let out a huff when a stray cat steps on your stomach, nudging its head against your neck. Your hand reaches for it, scratching and petting its fur lightly.

"Having fun?" You (and the cat) look up at the voice, a soft smile setting on your face when Reki looks at you with a grin.

"Lots," you reply, sitting up and picking the cat from your lap. "How's practice going?"

He sits beside you, humming as your eyes trained on Langa's (struggling) figure. "It's going," he chuckled. "I'm confident that he'll get the hang of things, he just needs to get over the fear of falling first." He nudges your shoulder with his, looking at you. "What about your practice? I didn't miss all the bandages on your palms."

You flip your hands over, multitudes of different-sized cartoon bandaids on your skin. "Abuela did this." you laughed, "I scuffed my hands after bailing and she went awol, really I haven't seen her react that bad since the accident."

His eyebrows furrow, "The accident?"

You nod, "the reason I stopped skating was bad— I had to be hospitalized." You mutter, rubbing your neck. "I said I stopped after shadow burned my board and that was it but you know, the reason I lost." You shake your head, waving your hand in dismissal. "It was just a mishap in the factory, that's it."

You let out a yelp when his arms fly around you, breath stuttering when his body trapped yours between the grass.

"I'm glad you're okay." He squeaks out, tucking his head into your neck. "I'm really glad."

A hand reached to curl into his hair, the other resting on his waist. "Thank you, Reki."

The feeling in your stomach isn't unfamiliar now, though the heat and tingle you feel on your cheeks, and the rampant beating of your heart is something new.

A/n: next chapter will be a filler, the dinner with Kaoru and Kojiro!

Thank you for being patient with me <3