Hope

warnings: hospitals, anxious tendencies (?), that should be it.

"So," Abuela starts, pouring coffee into her mug

"So," Abuela starts, pouring coffee into her mug. You already know what she's going to ask. "What happened last night?"

The spoon in your hand lazily mixes around the soggy cereal, eyes flickering up to meet hers. "What do you think happened?"

She raises a brow, "I don't think anything happened," she lets out a laugh as she stirs. "You and that boy are both too timid to do anything."

You flick a piece of bread at her, avoiding her gaze when she glares. "I'm not timid."

"So something did happen?" She grins when you throw your head back, "I'm just poking fun mi mundo, I don't mean to pry."

You're quick to shake your head, "I know." You rub your neck, "Before he left, he kissed my cheek." She quirks a brow again. "I know it's really small and people do that all the time but—"

"You don't have to explain yourself, Y/n," she interrupted, reaching over the counter to pat your hand. "It's okay for you to value the little things." She places her hands over her cheeks, swooning. "I remember your abuelo, he always tied my shoes for me, I fell so in love with him when he started."

A smile makes its way to your lips as she continues telling stories of her and abuelo, growing envious when she comments about how they never fought and if they did it was over who would make the salsa.

And here you were, not even dating the person yet but having fights and arguments left and right like it was a daily task.

Maybe you two weren't right for each other after all.

"How did you know abuelo was right for you?" You ask suddenly, gaining her full attention. "Was it instant or did it take a while?"

She gives a smile, knowing full well you're only asking to understand your own situation. "I was in love with your abuelo from the very start, mi amor. We were always together, we never got tired of each other even if we were mad. He was my one and only love."

Abuela gives another pat to your hands before taking her coffee to the sofa, clicking on the tv, and sinking into her chair. There's newfound hope in your heart, for some reason you can't understand. You weren't the same as her, you didn't even like Reki before you talked to him, and even when you did— it was the same for a while.

Your phone vibrates on the counter loudly, brows furrowing when it shows Kojiro's contact. "Hello?"

"Sorry, Y/n." He starts, "We've got another hospital patron." Your eyes widen when he tells you about Shadow's encounter, going into detail about his injuries. "He's going to be okay." He says the moment he hears the squeak of your chair.

Of course, he knew you'd be shaken up about this, the last thing you ever wanted was for your friends to be hurt.

"He's going to be fine." He repeats, concerned by your lack of response. "You can come see him, just be careful on your way here."

"Okay," you breathe out, rubbing your forehead. "Okay, I'll see you."

The lilies in your hands bent slightly at the force you'd gripped them at, your eyes widening when one snapped over.

"Shit," you cursed under your breath, rapidly pressing the elevator button. "Shit, he's gonna get mad." You panicked the more you thought about it, tears welling in your eyes when a petal fell.

"Y/n, what's wrong?" Kojiro asked the moment he saw you, rushing over to you when the elevator doors began to close. He carefully takes the flowers from your hands, bumping your arm with his elbow when you watch him. "He won't mind them, you know."

Your eyes trained on the linoleum floor, focusing on the reflected light. "Is he awake?"

"In the bathroom." He pointed behind him. "I have to head out now, I've been here for three hours already."

You bid him goodbye before you realized you'd be left alone with your —now ex— rival. What would you even talk about?

"Did Joe leave?" You jolted when you heard the new voice, smiling nervously when Shadow leaned against the bathroom door. "I'll take the empty room as a yes."

"Yeah," you clear your throat when it comes out high-pitched. "He left." Shadow sighs as he climbs into his bed, staring up at the ceiling blankly.

"Thank you." You perk a brow. "For the flowers, they weren't here before."

You glance at the half-broken stems placed in a vase, wincing when one falls over. "Oh, yeah um— sorry for the way they look," you laughed, "I get anxious in hospitals."

"That's understandable," he says quietly, picking at his blanket. He lets the silence settle for a moment, glancing over at your appearance. "Get in a fight?"

"Yeah," you reply under your breath, "I let them swing first so it counted as self-defense." He chuckled at your addition.

After a minute he lets out a long sigh as he settles into his bed fully, letting his eyes shut. "I've been meaning to tell you," he starts. "You can call me Hiromi. Just because hearing Shadow might sound weird in public."

"Hiromi?" You repeat hesitantly, you watch for any signs of regret. "Hiromi." It felt weird. "Okay."

A new comfortable silence fills the room, your mind unprovoked by the beeping heart monitor and the heavy smell of chemical cleaners.

Shadow— Hiromi, tossed and turned before settling on a position that felt comfortable, holding the blanket over his chin. You took it as a cue to leave.

"Night, Hiromi." He mumbled out a goodbye, thanking you once more for the flowers.

Somehow, as if he knew your availability, Reki's contact photo popped up on your screen, and Langa's showed up on a message banner. Were they together?

"Y/n!" Reki exclaims, "Come to the skate park!"

Langa's messages are the same. Worry pools in your stomach, you don't know why though, Reki seemed excited on the phone.

Well, only one way to find out.

A/n: i actually really liked this chapter aha

A/n: i actually really liked this chapter aha... was shockingly easy to write and came easy???

Four? Chapters left maybe five. Or more, you know how I am.