Cause and Effect

warnings: cursing, hospital setting, terrible pacing, and envy I guess. not proofread...

"What the fuck happened?" You asked Kojiro the moment you saw him, shaking his arm out of panic

"What the fuck happened?" You asked Kojiro the moment you saw him, shaking his arm out of panic. "Koji, what happened?"

He breathes in a shaky breath before holding your shoulders down, "Adam hit Kaoru with his board."

"He hit—" you can't help but let out a laugh, Kojiro knows your nerves are getting to you. "He hit him?" He nods. "Is he okay?" You ask him, folding your hands together when they begin trembling.

Kojiro clasps his hands over yours, leveling himself to look you in the eyes— you can't keep contact. "He's going to be fine, Y/n."

Right. Kaoru was going to be fine. He's in the hospital being treated, he's strong, he'll be okay. He'll be okay. The reassurance feels empty in your head, Kojiro's hand wraps around yours to keep you grounded as he leads you out of the hospital.

Your leg shakes as you sit on one of the bar stools in the restaurant, groaning when your phone buzzes in your pocket, looking down at it when you notice the name.

Kojiro glances over at your phone when you place it on the counter, raising a brow when he sees it. "Are you ignoring him?"

"If I talk to him, he might push me away."

"You'll never know until you try." He says, pushing your phone your way. "Just hear him out, and if I'm wrong then you can punch me."

"Square in the face." You respond, sliding off the barstool. "I'm gonna head out." He waves as you exit, sighing as he massages his neck.

The walk home is silent, you don't know why but you expect your phone to blare its ringtone, the specific one Reki chose. You understood that you shouldn't wait around for him, but he was the one who pushed you away first, even if he hadn't meant to.

You make it to your house with no interruptions.

But as always, life has an interesting way of giving you what you don't want.

"Hi."

Reki's sitting on the edge of your bed when you walk in, fingers picking at the broken edge of his phone case. He looks down when you narrow your eyes at him, looking behind you before you shut the door.

"What are you doing here?" He looks to the side. "I know you've been trying to reach me but showing up at my house and sitting in the dark is a little weird."

He deflated at your bluntness, rubbing his neck. "Sorry." He watches silently as you put your things away, avoiding your gaze when you look at him. "Um, did you go to crazy rock today?"

You shake your head. "Did you?" He nods. "How did it go?"

"There's a tournament," he says, picking at the lint on your blanket. "Langa went against Joe," you hum. "Langa won." Your surprised face doesn't go unnoticed by him. He turns away when you begin to change. "I wanted to be happy for him but I just couldn't."

"Well, it makes sense." He tilts his head. "Langa's the whole reason you're acting like this isn't he?"

He turns his head to the side, "I— don't give him too much credit." He laughs, rubbing his neck again. "Everyone else played a part in it too."

"But you only care about Langa's rapid improvement because he's a rookie and you trained him, right?"

"I really hate that about you," you raise a brow. "That you're always right, it's kind of annoying."

You snort at his words, covering your mouth with your hand. "I'm sorry?"

The mood lifts when Reki smiles at you.

"I don't think that jealousy isn't gonna go away, ever." He says, picking at his nails. "I think I'll always be envious of everyone's growth."

You sit beside him, "That's normal, I guess." He chuckles. "Everyone is envious of someone in their life."

"Even you?"

"Even me." You agree, nudging his shoulder. "Before we met, I really didn't like you." He deflated. "I didn't like how passionate you were about anything and everything."

"And you were envious of...?"

"Just you, your charisma, a lot of people liked you." He shrugs. "You don't have to humble yourself, half the class likes you."

"Half."

"Better than none." You argue.

"People like you." He says 

You laugh, "People like that I know Langa."

"I like you."

"I know you do." His face turns red when he realizes what he's said, turning away to hide it from you. "And I'm happy that you do."

He turns back to face you slowly, staring at you with a wobbly grin. "I'm glad."

An awkward silence follows his words, avoiding each other's side glances and gazes, brushing each other off with a small laugh.

"I should get going," he says after a minute, glancing outside. "It might rain."

"Okay," you say, getting up after him. "I'll walk you out."

You step out of your room first, glaring at Abuela when she shoots you a thumbs up from her door. Reki bids her goodbye when he sees her.

"I'll see you tomorrow," he says, smiling at you when he steps down from your doorstep. "I think, at least."

"Okay." He waves as he steps further down, but pauses when he gets to the second to last step. "Reki?"

He lets out a quiet curse, rubbing the back of his neck before he ventures up the steps again. His hand finds purchase on your waist as he leans towards you, face radiating heat as he places a chaste kiss to your cheek.

"Bye." He quickly says, running down the steps and the street.

Your fingers slowly creep up to your cheek, hovering over the place he kissed. Heat rises from your neck to your cheeks when it sets in, heart hammering in your chest.

It was just a kiss on the cheek but it had this much effect on you?

A/n: ignore the title or else.

This entire chapter is just being stressed about Kaoru getting hurt then forgetting everything once Reki comes in. mind blank for sure 💭

See ya, I'm off to work 🫡

Also unrelated, I graduate on Tuesday (the 14th) I'm so cash money. so cool, so hot. congrats to anyone else who's graduating/graduated and anyone who's finished school in general!