Confessions and Calamity

warnings: nothing major, hospital mention at the end. Thunderstorm?

"Can I kiss you?" He says, "Can I kiss you

"Can I kiss you?" He says, "Can I kiss you."

He still refuses to look at you, even when you tilt his head in your direction. His face is hot under your touch, but he doesn't make any move to pull away.

"Look at me." You whisper, gently brushing your thumb over the corner of his eye. He opens his eyes slowly, he's scared. "Do you like me in that way, Reki?" You ask quietly, desperate for a clear answer.

"I do." He nods, voice shaky as he answers. "I'm sorry for only realizing it now."

"You don't have to apologize," you stressed, giving a soft smile when he rests his hands on your knees. "You never have to apologize about how you're feeling Reki, it's okay."

"I like you, y/n," Reki says, his voice strained from the frustration with himself. He doesn't know why he's confessing to you now of all times, right after a fight with Langa, he's in his most pathetic state he could imagine. "I really like you."

He repeats it again and again, just because he thinks you aren't convinced. Tears prod at his eyes, whether from the pain he felt from bailing all those hours earlier, the fight with Langa, or the desperate need to make you understand his feelings.

"I like you too." You tell him, wiping the tears that fell. He lets out a breathy laugh when you do, getting up to wrap his arms around your shoulders.

Your head bumps against the wall with a loud thud, Reki tucking his face into your shoulder to suppress his laughter. Though his laughter seized when he heard someone clearing their throat at the door.

"Mom!" He looks down at himself, then at her, waving his hands frantically when he realized the situation. "This isn't— we weren't— did you get a haircut?"

She hums, narrowing her eyes at him. "Langa was looking for you earlier, did you talk to him?"

Reki can't decide if he should be relieved she wasn't mad or upset that she brought up Langa. "Yeah," he murmured. "I did." She nods before pointing a stern finger to Reki, giving you a soft smile before shutting the door.

"What did Langa want?" You asked, taking his hand when he sat beside you.

Reki holds his breath as he figures out what to say, it's better to tell you now, he knows that.

"You know how I said I didn't want to go to crazy rock anymore?" You nod. "Because of Adam, and I don't..." He trails off, ignoring your gesture for him to continue and elaborate. "I'm not as good as everyone else."

Your lips part at his confession, how long had he been feeling like this? You ask him, he says since Langa's race against Adam. It's been weeks since that happened. "The day I got into that fight, you told me you wanted to stop going." He nods. "Was it because you heard someone say something?"

Reki gulps at your question, mouth agape as he tries to form a reasonable sentence. A clap of thunder could be heard from afar, his head turning towards his window. "Yeah," he answers quietly, loosely holding your hand. "They said I was just some lowlife who clung onto Langa, that I wasn't anyone important."

"Reki–"

"And the person you got into a fight with, what did they say?" You look away from him. "Come on, Y/n just tell me."

"What they say isn't important Reki. Their words should mean nothing to you."

"Yeah," he smiles, lowering his head. "But they do." His voice is quiet, trembling just the slightest, he sounds defeated. "I think...I think you should go home," he says, tucking his hand under his arm. "Before the rain gets any harder."

You nod your head, lifting yourself from his bed and grabbing your bag. Your hand is on the door when you stop to look at him, "Don't feel so content with loneliness, Reki." You muttered, sliding the door open. "It's not fun being alone, everyone knows that, especially me." He turns away from your stare, "Take care of yourself, Reki."

He only hums in response.

The next day after school, you stare up at your ceiling for hours, thinking that if you noticed it sooner, maybe none of this would've happened.

Your phone rings beside you, it's Reki, you don't pick up. It rings again, and again, and again. It stops for ten minutes and you have to hold back a groan when you hear it again.

"What do you want?" You ask, tone sounding harsher than you intended. The line is muffled from the other end, you draw your hand back to see that it's Kojiro and not Reki.

You hear the words Kaoru and Hospital, and it's enough to have you out the door in seconds.

A/n: me writing Reki this chapter: I have to make him just like me, just like me fr. And I did. Slay king, push the person you like away 🙌

I want to make it worse.

Anywho we're nearing the end of Loverboy i fear 🫡 we're onto episode 9 now and you know me, I cut stuff out sometimes. I want to say at least 5-8 more chapters but I can't put an exact number 🤷‍♂️

Then the next series >:]

Also yeah, no kiss. Get blue balled.