Lacuna

Originally Published - December 6th, 2019

Requested by:

Lacuna (n.) - A blank space. A missing part. Origin: Latin

Trigger warning: Strong actions of verbal/mental/physical abuse, mentions of suicide

I cried writing this one, so...get ready, it gets pretty deep

Todoroki always wore his usual blank expression on his face. Everyone is used to seeing that usual expression. Todoroki is always quiet. Everyone is used to his silence. Todoroki is always sitting alone. Everyone is used to his isolation.

But the truth is... Todoroki was empty on the inside.

Every day when Todoroki comes home, he's usually met by his father's unchanging scowl and how long he has to train for. Then there are judgemental comments, and then he goes up to his room.

Todoroki goes to his bed and pulls out a picture of his mother from under his pillow. He stares at the photograph until his vision is blurred by tears.

"I miss you." He says quietly.

He wipes the tears from his eyes and cheek and places the picture back in its original spot. The boy felt alone in the world. Yes, he did have friends but it was a different type of loneliness. He could never find the answer, and he felt trapped.

~~~~

"How are you feeling today?" You asked Todoroki.

"I just want to sleep." He says with no emotion.

Being the only person who actually knew that something was wrong with Todoroki, the boy opened up to you. He just walked up to you and asked if he could talk with you and it's been like that ever since. And soon certain feelings started to develop.

"That's it?" You asked. Todoroki nods as you both sit under the cherry blossom tree. "Just for a little bit." Todoroki leans his head on your shoulder.

"You smell so good." He says while closing his eyes.

You felt your cheeks warm up from his comment. Suddenly, he lays his head on your lap to get more comfortable. You gently comb your fingers through his soft multicolored hair and he lets out a soft hum.

"(y/n), can you sing to me?" He asked.

"Todo, you know how I am about singing."

"Just for a few seconds, please?" He asked softly.

You sigh. "Alright, just for you."

"All the leaves are brown

and the sky is grey

I've been for a walk

on a winter's day

I'd be safe and warm

If I was in L.A.

California dreamin'

Ohhh...~

On such a winter's day."

Todoroki lets out a happy hum. "I love that song."

"I know, that's why I only sing it for you." You say. A few seconds go by and Todoroki suddenly gets up. "I need to go." Then he turns away from you and walks down the hill.

"So soon?" You ask, not wanting him to go.

"Yes." He says quietly.

~ At the Todoroki household~