stay with me [10]

Tommy's pov

I coughed up more and more blood. Karl put his hand under my mouth, catching the blood. He reached down, grabbing the bin and handed it to me.

My coughing fit stopped and I looked up from the trash, feeling pale.

"Tommy, You're going to need to eat something," Karl said quickly getting up and walking to the kitchen.

He came back with a banana.

"I feel sick Karl I'm not eating that-" I said holding my head.

"Tommy, y-you will die if you don't eat something," Karl let out.

"F...fucking good-" I said before exploding into another coughing fit.

"Tommy, I-Im sorry you feel that way but you need to eat this."

I sighed and took the banana taking a bite.

"Eat the whole thing," Karl said sternly.

"No-"

"Yes! Eat it, please!" Karl started crying, "If you don't I will take you to the hospital."

"Do it then," I said putting the banana down.

Karl got up and grabbed the bin, then grabbed my arm dragging me outside to his car. He picked me up, putting me in the front seat, handing me the bin. Then he ran to the other side and turned on the car. He buckled my seatbelt, then buckled his. We backed up out of the driveway, speeding out of the neighbourhood. I didn't say anything. I just felt too tired to resist.

We eventually made it to the hospital, Karl dragged me out of the car entering the emergency room. He explained what was going on to the nurses. I felt my eyelids getting heavy and I started tripping over myself.

Karl put his arm around me, holding me up as we walked quickly into the room. I passed out when we got there.

I woke up. Karl was sitting in one of the chairs. I looked at the clock on the wall, it'd been a few hours.

"Hey, Tommy..." Karl said, his eyes were red and puffy.

"What's wrong-" I asked.

"It's just Wilbur... He isn't taking this well. I mean I wouldn't expect him to but... I'm just so stressed out. Not to mention you could've died."

"I-I'm so sorry Karl..." I said, feeling incredibly guilty.

"You just rest. I have no idea what happened with you tonight but it wasn't good," Karl said looking up at me.

"K-Karl I'm sorry I-I was acting... L-like- like a child-" my eyes filled up with tears, "I-I was just so overwhelmed with the yelling a-and I was really mad at Wilbur... I'm sorry..."

Karl nodded.

"I-I just... My father called me a child a lot... It was his favourite thing to tease me with because he knew it made me mad... B-but now I just panic whenever someone calls me a child," I explained.

"It's alright, Tommy, please just get some rest," Karl said.

I put my head back down on the pillow, closing my eyes, falling asleep.

I woke up a few hours later, Wilbur was here this time.

"H-hey Tommy-" Wilbur tripped over his words.

"Hey," I said flatly.

"Tommy I'm sorry-"

"You know, maybe after this, I should just go home," I said cutting him off.

"W-what? You'd rather be with your father than me?" Wilbur said shocked.

"Yes, because being here hasn't helped me at all, it's just made things worse," I said, feeling my anger return.

"H-how?"

"How? Are you serious? I needed you. I needed my best friend. I was in a difficult place and you just left me and called Karl to come help instead. I don't even talk to Karl. I just needed comfort from you, because you're like a brother t-to me," I said, holding back tears.

"I-I-" Wilbur stuttered.

He stared at me, tears filled his eyes and spilt out. He lowered himself to the floor, sobbing. Part of me felt bad. I watched as Wilbur cried on the floor, he looked so genuinely broken. I knew he'd just lost his brother but... I really needed him at the moment I first confessed to him about wanting to die, but he wasn't there.

Karl spoke up, "Tommy, I'm not letting you go home."

I stayed silent. I knew I didn't want to go home but at the same time... I did. I just wanted to be punished. I keep hurting Wilbur over and over again. I just need to not be around him then maybe he won't be so hurt-

"Tommy?" Karl said waving his hand in front of my eyes.

"Y-yeah? Sorry, I zoned out," I said.

"I tried to call your name three times," Karl said looking worried.

"Sorry..." I mumbled.

"Well, the doctors said that you could be discharged tomorrow," Karl explained.

"Okay," I said.

"But you're going to need to eat when I tell you to or we'll end up back here," Karl mumbled sternly.

"Ok."

. . .

It was the next day, and I was finally discharged from the hospital. Now I could finally act out the plan I'd planned out in the hospital to run away back to my fathers. I packed up my bag. It would be best for everyone if I wasn't here.

It became nightfall, and everyone was asleep. I picked up my bag and slowly stepped over Karl, trying not to wake him. I walked down to the kitchen, looking for money that I could use on the bus. I found about 40 quid in the end and carefully made my way out of the house.

It was cold and raining. I'd taken the bus to the closest stop near my house and I started walking toward my neighbourhood. I was cold, wet, and dizzy. I just about made it to my door at around midnight.

I knocked on the door, my father opened it and pulled me inside with the angriest face I'd ever seen him have. This is going to be a long night.