83 - 89

83

Randhir stormed inside the kitchen and grabbed Sanyukta's shoulders angrily. She looked down, feeling upset that he had seen her like this.

"You were going to kill yourself?" he hissed.

She looked down and nodded.

Randhir just pulled her close to him, hugging her tightly. Sanyukta leaned into his embrace, feeling safe in his arms. Maybe this was what it took for him to accept her... but what could they do now? Her marriage was in the evening. Randhir would not be able to convince his parents now. It was too late.

"You're a coward," he hissed into her ear.

She wrapped her arms around him and allowed her tears to fall onto his neck.

"I know," she replied, her voice cracking.

"You don't have any right to take away your own life. Do you understand?" he asked her.

"I know," she whispered, "But I don't want to marry Rehaan."

Randhir broke the embrace and cupped her face in his hands.

"I don't care what you want to do or not," Randhir snapped. "You can't kill yourself."

"Okay," she said weakly, looking up into his eyes.

Randhir leaned towards her and rested his forehead on hers.

"Can you save me?" she asked him softly.

"No," he replied. "You deserve punishment... and you don't deserve an escape."

"So you don't actually care?" she asked him painfully. "If I killed myself, you only care that I didn't get punishment? Not that you lost me?"

"I don't care," he denied flatly.

Sanyukta sniffled.

"That's okay," she told him. "You don't have to care about me... but Randhir, can I ask something of you? Just one last favour?"

Randhir let go of her and stepped back, eyeing her suspiciously.

"What?" he asked.

"Will you please let me be with you tonight?" she asked him painfully. "From tomorrow I'll be someone else's. I want to experience everything with you first."

Then she broke down crying and Randhir watched her with shock, his heart aching, but also not having it in him to trust her again.

"You want me to have sex with you?" he asked.

She looked up at him and nodded.

"Yes, I - I want to have s - sex with you," she replied affirmatively through her tears.

84

Randhir took her hand and lead her upstairs with him. They went into her room in case someone came looking for her. At least Randhir could hide and she would be here to answer the door. After locking the door, Randhir took her in his arms and hugged her tightly, his own eyes filling with tears. Sanyukta thought she could melt in his arms and just not have to wake up tomorrow.

"I don't want to marry him," she told him fearfully.

Randhir broke the embrace and brushed her hair to the side before leaning towards her and kissing her forehead. She closed her eyes, feeling love emanating from that kiss... and he claimed he didn't love her? Why did he lie to her?

"You deserve it," he replied to her. "He's going to punish you better than I ever could."

"How?" she squeaked.