196 - 202

196

The next day, Sanyukta decided that she needed to see her family. She had to figure out a way of leaving the house without making anyone suspicious though.

"Randhir I want to go out," Sanyukta told him, as she picked up her purse.

"Where?" Randhir asked, sounding alarmed, because she never left the house.

"I...I want to go and visit Prerna," Sanyukta replied. "I just wanted to see her and kind of have a change in atmosphere."

Prerna was the wife of one of the members of their party. They worked with her husband and they had gone to Prerna's house a couple of times.

"I'll come with you," Randhir said.

"No, dad needs you... and Vidya and Atharva will miss you. I'll come soon," she said right away.

"Okay," Randhir said, and then wrapped his arms around her. "Come very soon."

She leaned into his embrace and hugged him back.

'I'm sorry for lying to you Randhir, but I have no choice... this may be my only opportunity to speak to my mom and dad again,' she thought in her head.

She broke the embrace and reached up to cup his cheeks. Then she leaned towards him and kissed him softly on the lips.

"I love you," she whispered.

"I love you too," he replied, bringing his hands to her cheeks and feeling the warmth of her skin.

Then she turned around and left the room, towards a destination that was known, yet would remain unknown for a long time to come.

197

On the way downstairs, she bumped into Parth, who looked relieved to see her. He had Vidya by his side, who looked up at her mom.

"Sanyukta, Vidya is bothering me!" Parth whined.

"Sanyukta, Parth is bothering me!" Vidya retorted in the same tone.

Sanyukta laughed.

"She's your mom, not your Sanyukta," Parth argued with the six year old.

"Mom Parth uncle is bothering me!" Vidya huffed.

"She's the one sticking around me!" Parth complained.

"Both of you love each other," Sanyukta said, laughing. "Be good children."

"Oye, I'm not a child! Vidya is!" Parth said, frowning.

"I'm an adult!" Vidya said, puffing out her chest. "Seee!"

"Both of you are my cute babies," Sanyukta said, and pulled on Parth's cheek before pulling on Vidya's.

"Heheee Parth uncle you are a baby!" Vidya laughed gleefully.

"Not fair, Sanyukta. I love you and this is what you do to me?" Parth asked.

Vidya grabbed her mom's hand and held on tightly.

"She is my mom and only I get to love her!" Vidya said possessively.

"Shh, both of you stop fighting!" Sanyukta said. "I have to go out. So be nice to each other."

"Come fast," Parth said, and picked Vidya up in his arms, kissing her on the cheek.

"Mommy, you kiss me!" Vidya demanded. "Parth uncle's kisses are disgusting!"

"Huh!" Parth asked, his eyes wide.

Sanyukta giggled and kissed Vidya on the cheek before caressing her hair.