72 - 82

72

When Randhir woke up, she wasn't in bed once again. He sighed and got ready for work. He knew she was upset, but he assumed the reason to be him. Since he wasn't able to completely be hers, she was behaving this way. Little did he know that the reason was something else entirely.

Sanyukta was in her bed, staring at her phone. She wanted to delay sending the files to her dad for as long as possible, because she didn't want to go home. She didn't want to leave this place. She wanted to stay here with Randhir and pretend to be Pooja Malhotra. She wanted to tutor Parth. She wanted to help Randhir and Rehaan with politics... but she knew it was wrong. It was all wrong.

She threw the phone inside her bedside drawer and decided that she would get to sending the files tonight. One day she would have to do it and if she kept on delaying it then that day would never come.

That day, work went as normal, and she somehow managed to keep a neutral facade throughout. After work, she tutored Parth. Parth asked her if she told Randhir yet, but she avoided the topic by asking him to study.

At night, she locked herself in her room before Randhir could ask her to spend the night with him. She stared at her phone, knowing that if she was ever going to do this, then she would do it now.

This was going to break the Shekhawat's, but she had no other option. She had come here vowing that she would get the information... and now that she had, she couldn't back out. She had to be her father's successor, and she couldn't disappoint her father or mother. She remembered her mom's words... that she could win her father's heart. She could make him change his mind about girls. She could fulfill her dreams.

This was the only way.

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

She slowly entered her father's phone number in the keypad, but before she could hit call, an incoming call from Randhir's name came. Her eyes filled with tears.

She answered it and with pain evident in her voice, she said, "Hello?"

"Are you okay?" he asked her, sounding concerned.

"Yes. I just want to be alone tonight. Is it okay?" she replied.

"Yes... I guess.. I'm sorry," he said again, sounding guilty. "I hurt you a lot right? You don't even want to talk to me?"

She felt even worse. He was blaming himself... and she wasn't even trying to convince him otherwise.

"Randhir, I... I just don't want to talk," she told him, "I'm sorry. Please... please hang up."

"Okay... then hang up," he told her.

"You do it," she begged, not having it in her to hang up on him.

"I can't," he replied. "I don't know why, it doesn't feel right."

"You're making this hard," she told him, her voice cracking.

"Sorry," he apologized again, and then he cut the call.

Sanyukta dropped the phone on the bed beside her and burst into tears. This was the most painful thing she was going to do - betraying the one she loved for her family, for her own ambitions, for her own selfish reasons... she hoped she landed in hell for this.

With shaking hands, she called her dad.

He answered right away.

"Dad... I have everything you need. I - I will sneak into the office tonight and I will send all the files to you," Sanyukta informed.

"Good. Call me once you do," Kishore replied from the other end. "Then we'll bring you home if it's enough."

"O - okay," she squeaked.