Twelve

With Niccolo's arms around me I fell asleep and this time my sleep was filled with the image of his words, I dreamed with what he imagined our life would be like

The morning sun came and when I woke up Niccolo was still holding me close, his arms make me feel safe, make me feel at home.

He was already awake looking down at me and I could already see the desk filled with breakfast over his shoulder.

"Morning." I heard him say.

"Good morning."

"How are you feeling?"

"Ask me that when you see your daughter in my arms." I said softly, I honestly don't know what I'm feeling.

I'm sad because my daughter isn't here, I'm relieved because Marcello is dead, I'm happy to be with Niccolo but I feel guilty because I'm happy while I don't know where she is.

"Breakfast?"

"I need a shower." I said. I can see that someone cleaned me, probably while I was in surgery or after but I need to scrub that place out of me, sometimes I think that I can still smell his cologne on me, or feel his fingers touching my skin.

I feel disgusting.

"I will get some clothes for you, do you need help? Do you want me or my mom?"

"No, no. I-i don't want anyone."

"I don't think-" He started to say but I stopped him.

"I promise that if I need help I will scream." I said.

"Alright." He said and sighed.

I push the covers back and sat on the edge of the bed, now I just need to find some strength in me to get up and support my weight. You can do this, it's 10 steps to the bathroom, 10 steps. With a deep breath, I started standing up.

At first, the room started spinning so I closed my eyes and tried to relax, I could feel his gaze on me and even though it was intense it was more a motivation to show him that I could do it.

With that thought in mind, I started moving my feet, one in front of the other I took the 10 steps to the bathroom and slowly closed the door behind me.

I leaned my back against the door and took a deep breath, after a few seconds I let myself feel the pain in my body, and fuck it hurt all over the place, I walked further into it and stood in front of the mirror.

I can't remember the last time I looked at myself in the mirror, maybe that day when I had the accident? My hair is longer, it's greasy, and looks unhealthy, just like the rest of me. My skin is pale, almost white, I can see my bones, and when I let the light blue hospital gown fall to the floor on my feet I wanted to cry.

My skin is full of scars and bruises, some so dark that I can't see my tattoos, some stretch marks on my stomach, breasts, and hips but I don't mind them, but the worst is my c-section scar, this scar should be between 4 to 8 inches long but mine is much bigger.