Chapter Eight: Gone

Amo

I parked my black Mercedes Benz and ran a hand through my hair before I got out and headed for the brown building in front of me. When I entered, I saw my father standing by a priest and Mr. Maeve standing opposite him. The man that I saw Bellona talking to when I saw her at her mansion was posted on the side. Nex was sitting in a chair, leaning back in his grey three-piece suit. He groaned. "Finally." He leapt out of his seat and made his way to me.

I looked around. "Where's–"

"Bellona?" Nex said and a weird feeling came inside me from hearing her name come from his mouth. Nex placed his hands in his pockets. "She's going to come with her mother."

I hummed in response. "Did you have something to eat?"

"Black coffee."

I made a face and turned to the front. "I don't understand how you can drink that crap."

Father gestured for me to come up and I took my time up the steps. Once I had reached him he gave me a tense pat on the back, then faced the priest. "This will be fast, yes?"

The priest shrugged. "Once the bride gets here, we'll see."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Not the question."

The priest saw this and straightened. "Yes, this will be fast."

I nodded once, then looked at Mr. Maeve. We shook hands.

"My daughter should be here any minute now."

I went back and stood straight. "We have time."

. . .

Twenty minutes went by and she still wasn't here. I checked my watch for what felt like the tenth time. Mr. Maeve had a crease between his brows. "Let me call her."

He held his phone to his ear and when I saw him pull it back and look at the screen, I knew she didn't pick up. He dialled again. "Bellona, pick up your phone."

Ten more minutes passed. Mr. Maeve called his wife, but there was no need, because right when he brought the phone to his ear, Mrs. Maeve barged through the doors, looking exasperated and shocked. Mr. Maeve went to his wife and placed his hands on his shoulders. "Breathe. Nora, breathe. What's wrong?"

The sight of the two gave a jealous spike course through me. My mother and father never did that.

Mrs. Maeve opened and closed her mouth a few times, but I got an idea of what her words would be, and the confirmation made my blood burn.

"Bellona," she gasped. "Bellona's gone."

Nobody spoke. Nobody moved.

"What do you mean, she's gone, Nora?" Mr. Maeve said, slight confusion coating his voice.

Nora Maeve needed a few breaths. "I came into her room, her dress lay on the floor and she was gone. I searched everywhere, everyone searched all over the house. I came here immediately. I don't—where is she, Victor?"

He faced us, bringing his wife close to him. He turned to the man, angry. "Elio. Send people all over Chicago. I need eyes everywhere, guards. Find her. Now."

Elio stood, face stern. "Yes, sir."

Then he was gone. Nex came up to me. "Amo. You good?"

I was good. Too good. I felt too calm. I stared at the ground and thought.

Thought, thought, thought.

Then it finally settled in me.

I clenched my hands. "Was she kidnapped?"

I heard Nora Maeve gasp. She shook her head. "It didn't look like it. There wasn't a mess or any signs of struggle. And the room had been silent since last night."

I stayed silent. If the room was clean that didn't mean that she hadn't been kidnapped. I faced Nora Maeve straight on. "You searched the entire room? The entire house? Did you find, anywhere, a daffodil?"

The entire room fell silent. Everyone knew what that meant. Even the priest, who took the hint and left. Nora Maeve thought for a long moment. Then slowly shook her head. "No. No daffodils."

I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Nex."

He straightened.

"Send my men out. Double men will take less time to find her." I looked at him. "Send them all."

Whoever had taken Bellona, they were not going to get far. And having the fucking nerve, the fucking stupidity or whatever it was that was going on in their head that made them do this, was going to be the reason I was going to have to break my clean streak.

I was doing well—a good few months with no blood. Time to break it, I guess. My blazer was off by the time I reached my car and I threw it onto the passenger seat so I could start undoing my vest. Rolling my sleeves up, I was about to sit down when I heard a voice.

"Amo!"

I turned to meet Nex standing in front of me. "What are you planning to do? Sending guys out on a run—who are we even looking for?"

I straightened and looked at him straight. "We are looking for the woman who was supposed to leave her house in white when she possibly left it in red. We're looking for anything and everything."

He gave me a weird look. "You can't possibly be sending all your men out for one girl?"

I grabbed him by the collar and pushed him to the edge of the car, making sure he hit his head hard. I tightened my grip, hearing rips from his shirt. "That girl is my fiancée who could be dead right now. Someone took her, Nex."

He nodded, face completely lacking fear. He knew me. He knew I wouldn't hurt him too badly. I let go and pushed him off the car for me to get in.

"Where are you going?"

I started up the car. "To her house. There are always clues, Nex. Always."

Bellona

My eyes were burning badly. Stupid, stupid unwashed hands and stupid, stupid lenses.

It turned out that just having murky brown hair and blue eyes wasn't enough. I went into the bank early and opened my account. I felt horrid doing this, but when they asked for ID, I handed them Maria's passport. They accepted that.

Now here I was, sitting in the waiting room, feet tapping together in a nervous flurry. I held my bags close to me and watched the entrances and exits. Every time a man in a suit passed me, possibly business, I felt tense and lowered my head, letting my hair fall over my eyes. My flight was called and standing in line was even worse. It wasn't until I was seated in my seat, belt on, with the plane getting ready to lift off, did I feel a bit lighter. And once we were in the air, I let out a huge breath. My chest heaved and once the seatbelt sign was off, I took it off and placed my head between my knees, trying to calm myself.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and nearly screamed. A flight attendant was looking down at me, worried. "Ma'am, are you okay?"

I swallowed my fear and plastered a smile on my face. "Yes. Thank you."

She didn't look convinced. "Are you sure, I can tell the captain–"

"No need! I just—could I get water, that's all. I'm just a bit dehydrated."

That convinced her. "Yes, of course." She went back and got me some before leaving.

I lowered myself back into my seat, still feeling my heart pound against my chest. I was glad there was nobody seated directing beside me otherwise I would have more things to explain. Eight hours. The time on my watch read 5: 25. My phone lay turned off and without its SIM card in my bag. Soon, I would land in London and my hunt would begin.

For the bastard who deserved all the bloody pain in the world.