Chapter Forty-Nine: St. Paul

Nex

Jesus, the headache. Blinking didn't help much as I tried to push myself up to a sitting position. Hands were on me and I shoved them away, backing up and hitting the window behind me.

"Nex, it's me." Elio was clutching his head. "Do you have an aspirin?"

I pointed to my kitchen, not caring that my finger was probably pointing at the ceiling. "Farthest cupboard to the right. Get me one too."

It took about half an hour before I could see clearer and the aspirin started working. I hauled myself up. I could handle my alcohol very well, it was just last night that I had really drunk to my limit. "Get ready, we need to go."

He groaned. "Where?"

I looked at him and the memory of his face under my chin, his breath on my neck, made me look away. "Minnesota. We're leaving today. Come on."

Elio stumbled towards the bathroom. "Dibs."

I grabbed my toothbrush and went to head out of the bathroom when I bumped straight into him. He rubbed his eyes, blonde hair a mess. "Sorry." He moved to go around me but I moved with him. His eyes met mine. "What?"

"Do you remember anything that happened last night?" Please say no. Or yes. I don't know which one would be better.

His head lowered. "What? Did something happen? Are my parents okay? Mom?"

I touched his shoulders, I didn't know why but I did. "Relax, Prince. They're fine. You just drank a lot."

He nodded, eyes calming. "Did I say anything?"

Not enough. "No."

"Did I do anything?"

Definitely not enough. "No."

He nodded again. "Okay. I'm going to shower now."

I moved out of his way, trying to collect myself as I went to my bedroom. "Yeah."

Elio

The door shut and I slapped my forehead. "Idiot." Did I really need to drink that much?

Did I do anything? Did I say anything? Well, he definitely said stuff and I remembered everything. Even what I said and did. I rubbed my eyes. "Goddamn, I'm such an idiot." I couldn't tell myself that what I did was a mistake, I just knew that it might have been a bit much.

Nex didn't like women and the trauma that came with that position made me inwardly cringe and feel irrationally angry. But another part of me was relieved. Now I knew who he liked and who he didn't.

I brought a hand over my mouth and sighed before reaching for the towel on the rack and turning on the water. Let's just get to Minnesota and then maybe I'll have time to worry about why my heart was pounding 150 beats per minute at the thought that he didn't like women and how little I'd actually seen him interact with a man other than me.

Bellona

"Ladies and gentlemen, Red States welcomes you to St. Paul, Minnesota. The local time is 5:30 PM. For your safety and the safety of those around you, please remain seated with your seat belt fastened and keep the aisles clear until we are parked at the gate."

The feeling of the plane hitting the ground and then coming to a stop made me finally look out the window at the sunny runway of the airport. We took our bags and exited the plane, nodding politely at the attendants and pilots.