Chapter Eighteen: Name

Nex

I wiped the sweat off of my forehead and backed away from the girl. She looked over her shoulder at me with a confused expression. "What is it?"

I pinched my nose, eyes closing. "I just-thanks and all, but I think that's it."

She straightened herself, pulling her skirt back up and buttoning it. Then she sauntered over to me. I was leaning against my desk. She brought a hand up my front and gripped my shoulder. "Was I not good enough?"

I pushed her hands away. "No, you're fine. I'm just not feeling well." I took out a bill and shoved it in her hand before motioning her to leave.

The door closed and I was left in my office, tense and confused. I was in my office in New York. I brought a hand up and gripped the back of my neck. This was weird. I needed to call Amo. I sat down in my seat and called him from my laptop. He picked up quickly.

"Hey, Nex," he said breathlessly.

I opened my mouth to speak but waited for Amo to catch his breath. He set his phone down on the floor and resumed the workout that I had interrupted. "Anything-you need- to tell me?" he said between pushups.

I scratched my head, unsure if I should tell him, but he quickly changed the direction of my thoughts with his next question. "Anything new from Minnesota?"

I opened my tab with the news. "They've been rather quiet. The last thing they did was that grocery store incident where you are. Any news on Bellona?"

I saw his side profile pull into a smile. I rolled my eyes. "Match made in heaven, you two," I mumbled, leaning back into my seat.

Amo finished his set and then looked at me. "Hell, most likely. If it were heaven, I'd have no shit to deal with."

I hummed. "God is probably laughing at seeing you two-you chasing her and her running from you."

Amo lifted the phone and began walking. "I think he made a bet with the Devil about us."

I laughed. "Yup."

Amo looked down at the screen. He tilted his head. "What's wrong?"

I sat up. "Nothing."

He frowned, then continued walking. "I know you better than you give me credit for, Nex Feri. Now talk. What's on your mind?"

I rubbed my eyes, groaning. "You know me too well for my comfort."

But it felt good, knowing my Boss knew me well. I was never one to spill feelings and talking with Amo just made them come easy. It felt safe.

I pursed my lips then shook my head slowly. "I have no idea what's wrong with me, Amo."

"Talk."

I took a deep breath. "It's so weird-I've had four girls come in since you've left and I haven't been sated."

Amo made a face and I shook my head. "I don't mean like that-Jesus, you think I'm an animal?" I waved my hand in dismissal. "Sometimes when the girls come in I don't even want to do anything. I have to make sure I'm not sending them off with a bad message, but it's hard. I don't know what's wrong with me."

Amo set the phone down on the counter and I watched as he took his toothbrush, put the paste on it, and started brushing. "Give it some time. Maybe rest. Don't think about this, think about something else."

"Like what?"

He spat in the sink. "Like the Daffodils. I want information on Adrian. Fucker sent a letter detailing that he has eyes on Bellona which, as you know, caused me to fast-track the wedding. And I still need to find that tracker Micheal said would be there."