Chapter Twenty-Two: Will

Bellona

In the distance from my hotel room to Will's coffee shop, there was not one reflective surface that showed me without my red face. I entered Will's shop, resisting the urge to just place my face in my hands and crawl into a little ball to just die. The bell dinged above me and looked up to see another man standing by Will. They were both leaning close and talking in a whisper tone. For a second, I thought Will looked serious—something that didn't look right on him. But that small thought dissipated the moment he looked up and smiled at me. Will gestured for me, eyes on the other man.

He didn't even need to turn around. He didn't even need to meet my eyes, hell, he wouldn't even have to move in my direction. I could recognize him easily from that dark patch of hair on his head that matched his brother, Will's. Dark eyes met mine, smiling, then turned back in a snap when he saw me.

It took all the willpower in me, all the strength in my body, to keep my arms from shaking, to keep my hands away from my necklace, to keep my face blissfully ignorant. I reached my hand out to him. "You must be Robert." I kept my voice happy but his name was like the vilest poison I had ever been forced to taste. I wanted to spit it all in his face, spit all the venom and watch it sting his eyes, burn his eyes. Eyes that never deserved to look at Maria.

His smile came back slowly. He gripped my hand and I forced myself to stay still and shake his hands.

His hands. Blood-stained hands. I pulled my hand back and I swear I could feel the blood ooze down my palm and drop to the ground. Maria's blood.

He tilted his chin. "I'm sorry, but have I seen you before?"

I shook my head, politely. "Doubt that. I would remember you."

He pointed a finger at me and glanced between Will and me. "So this is Bella?"

I smiled and nodded. I knew if my jaw tightened any further, a tooth would chip. Robert smiled at his brother and laughed. Goodness, his laugh almost made me wince. No way I was going to show it, though.

Robert laughed and faced me. "Will's girlfriend?"

I heard Will groan and saw him drop his face in his hands. The sight almost made me smile. That was until my eyes went back to Robert and my smile all of a sudden felt tense and it physically tired me to keep it up. But the fact that Will had just told Robert that I was his girlfriend gave me the assurance I needed that the plan was moving in the correct direction. I pull out one of my fake laughs I'd use at parties I would need to attend when an important person would say the stupidest or non-funniest things ever, but me being the Heiress of Chicago and needing them on my good side, I'd need to laugh. it was convincing, I knew that, and that fact was confirmed now when Robert laughed with me.

God, I just wanted to rip out that tongue and boil my next coffee water with it.

I smiled. "So you must be Robert, Will's brother? I've heard a few things about you."

He playfully frowned. "Have you?" He looked at Will and Will looked back at him. Robert turned to me. "What has he said?"

I waved a hand and shrugged. "It has just miraculously escaped my mind."

They laughed. Will waved me to him. I came around the corner and kissed him before he could say anything. He tensed then kissed me back before turning to his brother. Robert was smirking at us. I wanted nothing more than slam his fucking face into the nearest stone countertop which was, conveniently, the one only a few inches from me. Robert brought up his hands and pointed to Will. "Be careful with that one, he can be a bit much."

Will laughed nervously. Then waved his brother away. "Why don't you go and unpack your bags and be useful somewhere."

Robert laughed and turned back before heading to a door that I hadn't noticed until now. I looked at Will when Robert was gone. "Where does that door go?"