Chapter Forty-Four: Streetlight

Bellona

Manhattan, New York had 2 862 intersections and for some reason, it felt like the majority of them were just red lights. The drive from the mansion to the apartment usually wasn't this long but somehow the universe found it hilarious to sprinkle as many misfortunes into our night as possible.

As if we needed any more.

The mood was heavy. I could feel it in the way that every time Amo shifted gears a bit too hard. In the way that at every red light, his hands tightened on the wheel. In the way that when the lights turned green, he slammed the accelerator hard before easing off as if he would forget for a moment that he was driving on a busy road and not alone.

Amo slowed down at what seemed like the fiftieth light and then stopped. He was tense. Angry? I didn't know. But when the silence became too much, I found myself reaching for the button to turn on the radio. It was set to the music station when it started. The sound was quiet but I didn't want to raise the volume. I didn't want to reach over, to get close to Amo. So I turned towards the window, knees pointing towards my door with my arms crossed and my eyes on the people walking on the streets.

"I won't be able to be home much now that I have more to prepare for," Amo spoke into the silence. His voice was dull, lacking anything but exhaustion.

I didn't say anything, simply leaned my head against the cold window and watched the snow hit the glass, melt, then slide down the surface in a random path.

"If you need anything, you can call me or Nex since he's also in the building."

I placed my bet on the snowflake that just melted and watched it race against the other droplets.

"I'll be home in time for dinner."

My eyes closed.

Home. He was saying it as if it were the same for both of us. I straightened with a sigh when the car started moving again. I still didn't say anything. The song changed but I still couldn't hear it clearly so I simply turned off the station and leaned back in my seat. The rumble of the car seat was steady and smooth so I guess that was what caused me to fall asleep at some point because I woke up and the car was parked on the side of the road, a little bit away from Amo's apartment complex. The car was off and the sun had fully set now. I stretched my back and reached for the handle of my door to go when he spoke.

"I'm sorry."

I didn't stop. I opened the door, left, and closed it with a little more force than was necessary. I brought the front of my coat closer to me and started towards the building. Another slam of a door. "Bellona!" The word was harsh, like whiplash and I just kept walking.

I didn't make it three feet from the car when a hand came on my arm, spinning me around. "Just, wait–"

I tried to shove him away. "No." Breathe. "It's fine. I get it. But if you want me just for sex then I'm afraid you need to look elsewhere." I went to push his arm away so I could go, but he caught my wrist, spun me around, and stepped so close I hit the bumper of his car, almost falling on top of the hood.

Amo's hand caught my shoulder and brought me up to stand. I brought a hand between us, keeping space, and watched him. "That's what you want, isn't it?"

He shook his head. "I want–" he stopped, taking a step back and tore all ten of his fingers through his hair. His elbows dropped. "Never mind what I want. I just need you to listen." His voice was quieter now, softer.

I didn't like it. I stepped forward, not understanding anything that was going on between us. "What do you want then?" I stepped closer until I was right in front of him, forcing him to look at me. "Make it clear!"