Chapter Fifty-Three: Sunrise

Elio

"Go and keep yourself busy. I need to handle some things inside," Amo had said to me before he had gone.

I had stayed back and heard screams, and heard a door slamming. I saw Bellona walk and then saw Nex in his car coming to take her. I didn't move. I couldn't. Bellona was clutching her arm and shaking her head. Nex got out of the car and tried to get her inside. She shook her head and kept walking. Kept walking until she stopped, turned back and told something to Nex. I could see from Nex's expression, which was lit up by the streetlights, that what she had just asked was something he was shocked by. Then Bellona, to my shock, leaned forward and placed her head on his shoulder, which he didn't expect. From that reaction, I knew something horrible had burst from inside the house. She said something to Nex and he had been convinced then and there and I watched, frozen in place, as the two got into their cars and drove off.

"So long, Prince."

Now, I watched the car drive away

"Okay, I'll come back. For my prize."

I kept watching even after the car had disappeared into the night.

"I will need that kiss, Prince."

I turned toward the house and stared at the building. I wasn't going to go inside. I knew that Amo needed his space but I couldn't help feeling that I had lost something in this war as well. Even though it was far from over and I knew New York had gotten a good hit on Minnesota, it still felt... unfulfilling.

I knew what was coming. I could smell it in the air, in the way the cool winter air was making everything feel sharp and bitter. Separation. How were they going to fix this? I needed to turn my attention elsewhere. So I took out my phone and rang my Dad. He picked up on the third ring.

"Oh, thank God, my son is safe!" I heard him gasp. "How are you, is everything well?"

I swallowed. "Everything's good Dad." My hands itched for the earring. "How's Mom?"

"Oh, she is okay. Still sleeping." He let out a small laugh. "How are–"

"Dad," I said, wanting to remove the bandage quickly. "The fear is still there."

He didn't say anything for a moment. "They're not real, Elio, you need to stop telling yourself that,"

"They are, Dad, they were bad. I was shaking, and I couldn't breathe, and I–"

"Elio." His voice cut sharp. "Irrational fears do not exist. Every fear needs to have a reason and you do not, so this is non-existent. I have talked to you about this time and time again and right now I need to know if you're okay."

I didn't say anything. I stayed silent. "Depends on what you mean."

"Are you hurt? Are you okay?"

"I'm not hurt. I'm okay." I swallowed. "I just wanted to tell you that the fear is still there."

"Are you breathing?"

"Yes."

"Are you alive?"

A pause. "Yes."

"Then you're okay. Elio, you need to understand. You are my son and things are waiting for you and having a fear is not good. Tell yourself that you don't have it. The mind is very powerful. So, convince it you're okay."

I closed my eyes and then opened them, staring in the direction Nex had gone. The only person who had really tried to help me. "Okay."

I could hear the satisfaction in his voice. "There. Now come home soon."