Chapter Forty-Five: Sleep

Bellona

I could only remember one other moment in my life where I had smiled so much my face hurt, or I had laughed so hard that I couldn't breathe and had to sit down. My fingers found the pendant under my shirt absently and the memory of cackling in bed with Maria came to mind. A movie I couldn't remember playing in the back while we threw popcorn at each other.

Then my mind came to the present and the reminder of why I was happy at the moment came to me and my stupid grin spread on my face, making me press my palm to my mouth and look out the window. I felt bubbly. I felt like I could say anything then I didn't need to face the judgment of Amo. My face tilted towards him and I watched him. Watched his fingers tap against the steering wheel. Watched him mouth words to the song he played just a few minutes ago. He mouthed them with a smile on his face that reached up to his eyes and it was something I couldn't look away from.

At that moment he wasn't Amo Griffin, Heir and War Leader of New York.

He was just a boy. A boy who they called Apollo and who loved his Mama. A boy who, with one look, could make me feel like I was the only person worth looking at.

He was Amo and he was happy. Happily driving, happily tapping. And just because of that I wanted to share another thing about myself with him. Just because he was happy. Because he made me feel happy.

Because he made me feel lighter and that weightless feeling was beginning to get addicting.

I tapped the toes of my shoes together and thought for a moment because I wanted to speak. I wanted to. It was weird, but it was there nonetheless. I glanced at Amo and watched as he looked quickly to the side, checking for oncoming cars.

But we were in the further lane, closest to the curb.

I pressed my lips together to suppress a smile and looked ahead. "I feel like I should have a nickname for you."

He looked at me as he parked the car. "Like what?"

I thought for a moment. "I still need to figure out what Kallistê means."

He grinned, taking out his keys. "You never will."

I rolled my eyes, getting out of the car and closing the door. "I feel like I should."

He rounded the car and grabbed my hand. I tried to ignore the jolt that went through me that soon faded into bliss. But it was hard when he pulled me to his other side when a car began backing out of a parking spot. "What would you call me?"

We reached the building and went inside. "Something really cute and maybe a little cheesy."

Amo pressed the elevator button and we stepped in when it opened. He leaned against the wall. "Like what?"

I pressed my lips together for a minute to collect myself. "Soniya." Jesus, why did I find that funny?

Amo eyed me out of the corner of his eye and looked back forward. His eyes went to the floor and I saw his brows bundle together in thought and I moved to the wall to the right of him to watch. He mouthed the word to himself and I began to think if he knew Hindi. His eyes came to me and he shook his head once. "I can't figure it out. What does it mean?"

I shrugged one shoulder. "Tell me what Kallistê means first."

Amo didn't say anything. Simply tilted his head and ran his tongue over his teeth. "As much as I love you telling me what to do, I can't do that."

I looked away, feigning boredom. "Then stay oblivious."

The elevator abruptly stopped and I jolted with the sudden halt.