Chapter Thirty-Three: Flee

Bellona

Many thoughts were in my head, one being where was Mama Rose?

I hadn't seen her since the restaurant and from then on, a lot had changed. If I could find my stupid SIM card, I could call her and let her know the new details. A SIM card that I knew Amo had taken. But all of those issues would have to wait since now Amo and I were standing side-by-side, getting ready to go. The knives in my hand were a familiar feeling, flashes of my combat and boxing sessions with Elio came to mind.

Elio. He was here and Amo hadn't told me. I would need to figure this all out later because I swear U just felt the ground shake underneath me. My hands went out and I clutched the edge of the door and I saw Amo do the same.

"Merda," Amo cursed and if he was starting to use swears in other languages, this was bad.

"What was that?" I asked.

He shook his head. "I don't know."

Another rumble. From up here, I could hear the screams from below and it was making something crawl beneath my skin. So much terror. And for what?

Amo opened the door quietly, his eyes scanning left and right before motioning me to follow. We crept down the halls but the sounds of pure agony and fear were making my legs begin to shake. I tried to steady myself but this was getting too much. The ground shook again and both Amo and I fell, hands going up to clutch the wall nearest to us.

"Come on, I think I know what's going on," Amo said as he straightened and went for the stairs.

I followed close behind until we were in the stairwell, our steps echoing in the big area. I shoved my knife up my sleeve and took my gun out, both hands holding it close to me as I took the stairs two at a time. No heels today—I wore crimson red boots that would be perfect if the situation turned towards a more violent path. "What do you think's going on?"

Amo turned, heading down the next flight of stairs. "Bombs."

I stumbled a bit before regaining myself and following after him. "I'm sorry—what?"

Next flight of stairs. "The Daffodils are using bombs."

"Why? Why not go for a more subtle move?"

We reached the very end and I stopped beside Amo who was looking at me. "I want you to listen to me very carefully, Bellona," Not Kallistê—Bellona. "They want you. They want both of us. They want to make sure that when they do get us, the whole world sees that. New York and Chicago's Heirs under Minnesota's mercy. The press will go wild. Morales loves attention—police, citizens, governments, whatever. He will kill to get that. Which is what he's doing right now." His face pulled into an expression of disgust as he looked at the door, the cries of horror sounding clear. "Don't try to save anyone."

"What?"

"I know that sounds terrible but we can't save anyone." His eyes were back on me, determined and apologetic. "Don't try to. We get out and head straight for the airport."

He stared at me, waiting for a response. But what could I give him? Go straight through this mess and leave the blood and people behind us? I could be merciless but this was cruel and monstrous. I couldn't—I wouldn't—

"Don't try to," Amo said as if hearing my thoughts. "You saving them will just give Morales an opening to get you." His hands came out and gripped my shoulder. I felt the handle of his gun against my skin. "Do. Not. Try, Bellona. I am dead serious. These are little pawns, little expendable figures that were pushed into the big game and us trying to get them out without taking out the big guy first will do absolutely nothing. Understand? Absolutely nothing."