Chapter 28

Last Night

Rui's Pov

Lying weakly in bed, my fingers slightly twitched in movement. The silence in the room rang in my ears as I slowly opened my eyes. Blinking a few times, I stared straight up at the ceiling that was above me.

Where am I?

Where is this place?

Why am I here?

The questions filled my head with thoughts of the current situation that I was in.

And lastly, who am I?

I shifted my head to the person who was sitting in a wheelchair across from me that curiously laid his eyes upon the small item that he held gently in his hand. Before he could leave my room, as well as leave the item behind, I made my attempt to get his attention by softly mumbling words.

Observing him more closely than before, he looked vaguely familiar, even though I couldn't remember him, nor did I remember who he was to me.

Making my attempt once again, I mumbled a few words louder until it caught his full attention.

Quickly turning his head to me, his eyes widened and he hurriedly rolled over to my side.

"Oh my gosh, you're awake. Oh my gosh, you're finally awake!" he cried out with tears in his eyes. "I'll go get someone to help you. I'll be right back!" he said in a hurry while drying his tears with his palms. In an instant, he urgently rolled back his wheelchair and rushed out with it.

Looking in his direction weakly, I dryly swallowed whatever was left in my mouth and gave a deep sigh. 

"What is even going on anymore?" I questioned in my head, slowly closing my eyes again to rest.

My head hurts.

My body hurts.

Every inch of my whole being hurts.

It hurts.

Instead of focusing on the pain, I don't want to think about anything right now.

Just before I thought I would get the moment of silence I was looking forward to, the door bursts open with a doctor and nurses who rushed to my side.

"Check her blood pressure."

"Make sure her breathing is alright."

"Check her medications."

These were the things that I faintly heard while lying helplessly on the bed.

"I must be in a hospital right now," I thought to myself.

Moving my gaze to the man in the wheelchair, he looked over at me in concern. Since he knew he couldn't do anything in this situation, he slowly rolled to the furthest corner of the room and watched as the doctor and the nurses took care of me.

After the procedure was done, the doctor went up to the man in the wheelchair and began to mumble a few words of advice to him. Both he and the man nodded in agreement before he left the room, along with his nurses.

Turning over to me, the man slowly rolled his wheelchair near the end of my bed. "How are you feeling?" he asked.

I first looked at my legs then up to my arms. "It hurts. A lot," I answered truthfully.

He let out a small laugh, "I've been there before, believe me," he smiled before looking down, nervously rubbing the back of his neck. "Well, it's late now and I have to go back to my room. I'll be back tomorrow to check up on you, okay?" he said.