seven. idiocy may cause you pain

With the clanking sound of bells echoing through the background, Valerie and Kieran made their way down to Hagrid's hut side by side — both of them appearing rather distressed.

"My finger is hurting", Kieran complained, having Valerie glance his way. In a dramatical manner he was holding up his index finger; putting his minor injury on display as though it was the end of the world.

Valerie could do no else than roll her eyes. "Get over it already", she jokingly replied, although a hint of sternness still lingered across her tone. Now, the cause of her slight bitterness was not her friend, but the book grasped tightly in her arms. It appeared their assigned material for the Care for Magical Creatures classes was unfamiliarly violent; proceeding in cutting Kieran's finger open as he simply tried to flip it open.

Slytherins and Gryffindors were walking alongside one another, for once not succumbed in never-ending rivalry, but commonly discussing the trouble of getting their own books under control. It seemed Kieran was not alone with sustaining minor injuries, for everywhere could they hear muttering and groaning at the simple thought of ever attempting to read the seemingly unreachable pages again.

"At least you're not alone", Valerie taunted. To claim she herself had no issues with restraining the book would be telling lies, however a simple spell memorized by previous night's reading, and so she successfully had tied it together with a rope — making it out of the minor battle without even a scratch.

When reaching the small hut, Hagrid was stood before them; students circling him to properly hear what he intended to have said. "Okay, come on now! Come closer. Less talking, if you don't mind", The large man instructed and waved his hands, motioning for them all to come closer. Kieran and Valerie remained at the back — Care for Magical Creatures certainly was not either of their favorite subjects. "I've got a real treat for you today. A great lesson. Follow me!"

The half-giant stepped down from the small staircase leading to his own front door, making sure the rather large group of students followed closely behind him as he lead them along a small path: not stopping before located in a small opening between the tall trees surrounding them.

It was a pretty scenery — birds chirping, leaves decorating the many branches — and after allowing the class to quiet down their ongoing conversations grounded in curiosity, Hagrid took it upon himself to carry on with the lesson. "Less chattering, form a group over there", he spoke and pointed toward a specific spot. Harry Potter, walking in the front, placed himself correctly, while the students behind him followed. "And open your books to page 49."

At this, Valerie and Kieran shared a look; shortly after glancing down at their books with horror passing through their eyes. "Exactly how do we do that?" A sharp tone spoke aloud, Draco Malfoy asking the question the entire group appeared to wonder themselves. He too, had tied his book closed with a belt, similar to the way Kieran had it done.

Hagrid appeared distraught, as if it was the easiest thing in the world and as if he could not fathom they had not managed to figure it out on their own. "You just stroke the spine, of course." While walking away, the teacher could be heard muttering, "Goodness me."

Valerie hesitated before correcting her grip around the book that had previously wished to bite her hands off. "Of course", she then sarcastically repeated, stroked the spine and waited for any sort of reaction from the violent collection of pages. It gave away some sort of sound, and although she'd rather leave it be, she waved her hand, and so the rope trying it down fell to the ground.

Kieran gripped his wand tightly, expecting his best friend to be attacked at any moment, and therefore arming himself to step in and defend her were it to become necessary — however, Valerie scoffed at his tense posture when claiming to the conclusion the book was not going to launch for her; cautiously flipping it open and taking in the many pages.