Ⅰ: A stumble upon fate

"Beautiful lady, would you like to commit double suicide with me?" With pleading, sparkling eyes, he asked.

The gray-haired boy seemed so done with the guy. He felt responsible for him, although he was younger than the guy asking you. "Don't mind him; you can go where you-" the gray-haired one said before you interrupted.

"Yes," you said, startling the gray-haired boy.

Your answer surprised him since he was used to accepting rejections from different women. "You will?" he whispered a little too excitedly. Is he excited about dying? you thought to yourself. He shouldn't be much of a threat to the Jackals.

"On one condition," you noted soon after. He stood up from his 'on one knee' pose and asked, still holding your hands. "And that condition is?" he asked.

。。。

Atsushi had to tag along with Dazai, who slacked off on buying grocery supplies for the agency.

Not only did he have to pull Dazai from distracting himself with buying other stuff, but he had to witness him asking a stranger, on one knee, to commit double suicide with him.

"Miss, do you understand what exactly you're agreeing to?" Atsuhi asked, interrupting whatever was going inside Dazai's mind since he looked irritated with poor Atsushi. That didn't matter.

Atsushi looked at you and continued, "My senpai is completely serious." Atsushi wasn't sure if you were in your right mind.

You gazed at the little boy for a while, and with a neutral expression, you explained, "Committing suicide is when you take your life by your choice, and I believe double suicide is when you do it along with someone else." The guy holding your hands gasped happily.

"She understands me; we're one and the same," he sang.

No, you tensed up, disgust clouding your mind, but you held back from saying anything.

The guy looked back at you. With a wide smile and loving eyes, he asked, "What's your condition?"

You needed to get on his vulnerable side—the side that would reveal his true weakness. After all, it was the reason the Jackals sent you.

At that point in your life, you were only interested in vengeance. It was no mistake that the man delicately holding your hands was Osamu Dazai.

You cast a glance at the boy, whose eyes begged you not to agree to this madness. Your eyes met with Dazai's again, and you finally announced, 

"For three months, before we both commit suicide, I want you to be my boyfriend,"

There was complete silence, and you didn't consider his rejection up until that moment. The gray-haired boy you didn't recognize had a rather exaggerated expression on his face.

"Sure thing, but keep in mind, my lady, that I take on risky jobs, so getting emotionally attached to me can cause you pain," Dazai warned as he let go of your hands.

So he agreed. That was easier than you expected.

It was the least of your worries, but you managed a reply, "I will keep that in mind,"

With that, he smiled widely and took a hold of your right hand. He laced his fingers with yours, causing goosebumps to tickle the nape of your neck.

You had never considered the consequences; you were never the touchy type of person, and the thought of receiving affection from someone like Dazai almost made you gag, so you felt compelled to make a statement.

"Dazai-san, holding hands is the only physical affection I'm up for," you stated.

"I feel like I'm interrupting something here," Atsushi said, feeling third-wheeled already. "Plus, we still have groceries to buy," he continued.

Although Dazai had not been doing this chore for so long and had something more interesting to pass his time at that moment, he had to finish helping with the task. It was a matter of whether you wanted to join them or not.

"I've got work to finish too. I think it would be better to meet up with you later," you said. You tried to let go of his hand; he understood the gesture and released it later. "Let's meet outside this supermarket at six today," you suggested. Dazai nodded, and you were on your way.

"Wait!" he called, remembering something.

You turned to face him, and he continued, "I didn't quite catch your name." With your real last name exposing your family's criminal records, you had to make one up. 

"Yamada, Yamada Y-n," you called back.