XXXVI: Flaws in this Perfect World

Your laugh died as you looked around to see who was laughing. But no one was. Then, It was like the laughter was replayed.

"I want daring questions, Yn-san!" The same voice spoke.

You knew the voice, and part of you knew the person that the voice belonged to wasn't anywhere near you, but who was it then?

"I just... thought I never thanked you for being there for me," you said, putting your attention back to Kenta, whose face was still dusted with pink all over. He didn't say anything, so you continued, looking at the moving river on your left side, "I didn't want to lose any more time without telling you... so,"

There was only silence, so you looked back at Kenta. He was smiling, making your stomach drop.

It feels like an eternity since I've seen that smile. You wondered.

He placed a hand on your shoulders and squeezed them, pulling you into another hug again.

"Okaaay? I'll be waiting in the car, remember Yn, mom's waiting," your brother said as he walked away.

Both you and Kenta laughed as the hug went on. The chuckles died, and he said, mumbling it in your ear. "I'm happy that I'm with you,"

"I'm ... happ-y.. that .. I'm w-ith y-you,"

From the dream, your mind vividly remembered one of the last words dying Kenta had mumbled to you.

A knife... sunk deep in his chest. The scene was clearer now, someone else stood by both you and the dying Kenta. It troubled you how clear and vibrant the scene felt.

Just who was that person standing by both of you in the dream?

A dress... a scarlet one...

Hina, your mind shot at the name.

Hina, the boss. The boss of the jackals, how did I forget the person I have worked for?! The person to kill all my loved ones in my dream?

You shuddered at the thought, and Kenta felt you in his arms, so he pulled you away.

"I shouldn't have hugged you again since you..." he said but stopped himself when he saw you; colors drained from your face. His playfulness tone was gone, his eyes were serious and determined to know what was wrong with you. "What happened? What's wrong?" He asked, his tone edged with worry.

"is it okay that you're out and not doing your job? For the Jackals?" You asked. He furrowed his eyebrows, like he was confused by what you said.

"I was doing work... at home?" He explained. You didn't say anything, so he continued, "It's the weekend, and I only go to the university on weekdays," he explained.

"University? You go to a university?" You asked. At this point, he was speechless. Scratching the nape of his neck, he stated, "Jackals university, you go there as well," he said.

At that moment, sounds were drowning out, It felt as if someone had spilled freezing water on you.

What? University?

"What's wrong with you?" He asked nervously, chuckling, thinking you were just pretending not to know, but he was still confused on why you were so scared from such a place. "H-hina, don't we work for her?" You said, voice going weak at the mention of her name.

"Hina? Who's Hina?" He asked. You took two steps back. It wasn't real? The organization, the people with skills. You worked for her.

"How much did the dream affect me?" You asked yourself out loud. "What dream are you talking about?" At this point, Kenta was so confused. He wanted to understand why you were not yourself.