XXII: Truth, unraveled.

"Oh dear, it's so difficult seeing you like this," her voice was so sincere it shocked you. You didn't look up at her though.

"I shouldn't have left you in that old complex even if it was for your studies," she continued, and you picked up on her acting note; every conversation is monitored, so you had to be careful. "You know I didn't do it mom, you believe me right?" You asked for approval.

"Of course I believe you. What mother wouldn't believe their child. But... I heard from your father that you broke up with your boyfriend," she said, her voice hiding the double meaning.

Dazai.

"There was just a little misunderstanding, that's all," you said, hoping the shakiness isn't too visible in your voice. There was a long pause. "Well then, I came here to tell you that you're doing such a great job taking all this in, dear,

"And do not worry, everything will go easily," she continued. "You will be out of here in no time and I will be waiting for you, okay?" She reassured. I will be out of here? Easily? "Ok mom,"

And by that, she was gone. Hina coming personally to tell you a message.. it had to be important. She didn't sound mad, or was it all under her acting? All you knew is that everything would go smoothly inside as she mentioned, but you had to go to her after the trials.

After all, she knew you failed staying with Dazai.

Right before you were put in the cell again, another cop came and called out your name, mentioning that the results of the fingerprints were ready. You were led to a room, small, no furniture but a table and two chairs. There was also a huge mirror - a two way mirror probably.

You sat, and your hands were locked on the table. The cops then exited the place, and a detective came in. You recognized him to be the ponytail guy from the detective agency. Not dazai, nor Ranpo.

He laid out the file on the table, opened it, looked through it with furrowed eyebrows. "There seems to be some evidence.." he started, still looking at the reports in the file. "...that stands on your side, but there are some others that stand against you," he continued, looking at you this time. You didn't say anything, you didn't see a need to..

He sighed "The fingerprint results show that the gun had the corpse's fingerprints," you didn't say nor react to what he said; it was a known fact to you.

"However,

"According to my Colleague, Dazai, he noticed something off about the way you reacted to his arrival," Kunikida suggested. It wasn't anything Dazai said, but it was what he gave off when Kunikida asked him back at the crime scene. He monitored your expression, to see any minor show of vulnerability in your eyes.

"I was ... traumatized for what I have seen, and seeing Dazai at that time ... wasn't something I expected," you said, thinking of each word you voice out. ".. but it was something I was grateful for," you continued.

Kunikida could sense that you have something hidden. To people who aren't detectives, your answer was fine, but to him, your reaction was not a normal human reaction to something so tragic. The problem is that he doesn't know how to get it out of you professionally in front of all the cops.

In the middle of pulling all the threads together, a cop burst open the integration room. Not long after, the alarms of the building went off. "There has been a breach in our building!"

。。。

Dazai watched silently behind the glass, his face neutral. He was good at it. It hid how loud his mind was. Million thoughts roamed inside his mind. He thought about all the interactions that happened between you and Kunikida, looking for an answer.

The pet shop, were you lying about going to a friend?

The bridge, how did your parents really die?

The atm station...

Ranpo. You were not yourself when Dazai came after your chat with Ranpo.

For the first time, Dazai was able to put the correct puzzles together. It wasn't anything he gave mind to think about. "Can I please join them?" Words slipped before his mind gave thought.

The cop monitoring the effectiveness of the recorders turned to look at Dazai, a neutral look on his face. "Only one detective is allowed at a time," he said, like he had it memorized in the back of his brain. "But I know the right question to ask," Dazai protested.

The cop sighed, stood up to match Dazai's eye level. "Let me remind you of the risk of letting more than one detective in the integration room; when the suspect gets intimidated by the pressure of two asking them about what happened in the crime scene, the suspect might get traumatized and would not speak a word after," he exhaled.

"It happened multiple times mr-smart-detective, so the police do not want to risk doing it again, especially in such a tricky situation like this one, where there's only one person alive in the crime scene,"

Dazai looked back at you, aware of such terms, and yet, part of him deep inside wanted to barge in the room against the cop's orders.

He had to wait there silently as the one question that would solve everything repeating like a symphony in his mind.

If a man from the port mafia was sent to you, Dazai knew that such an occasion happens when a person flees from the port mafia. Those men are sent to kill, not be killed. The man wouldn't have killed himself, nor would you be able to force him to do so. One option stood out in Dazai's mind,

The option that answers every misunderstanding he had of you.

The door opened with force as a cop entered the integration room, no one was allowed to enter unless it was an emergency. The alarms went off, and Dazai heard the cop saying there were intruders in the place through the recorder.