XXIII: Carefully Planned Escape

Kunikida stood up and pulled the gun he had in hand. "Watch her and I will go check on the situation in hand," he ordered. "Yes sir,"

Intruders? Dazai walked up to Kunikida and met him at the door of the integration room. "Who could be stupid enough to breach into a police building?" Kunikida wondered out loud, voicing Dazai's exact thoughts. "Kunikida-kun, I think I just found the answer to the crime scene,". Kunikida furrowed his eyebrows, showing more attention to Dazai.

"Explain,"

"The Port Mafia would only send guards to kill if a person flees from them, right?" Dazai mumbled close because of the noise. "Okay?" Kunikida asked, although he could see where it was going. "Yn-san escaped, and we need to find out the reason behind them capturing her in the first place,"

Kunikida wanted to ask more questions, but a loud explosion interrupted, shaking the building from its strength. They didn't hesitate to run toward the sound source.

。。。

The door closed, and it became quiet again. It was only you and the cop.

You looked down at your hands; they were still held underneath the metal. You looked up around the corners of the ceiling, surveillance cameras ... of course. The explosion was your ticket to get out of this place, and yet, nothing else was helping.

The cop seemed distracted with what was going outside, like he wanted to go outside and check it out.

The lights then flickered, as the sound of another explosion echoed. You wondered if the building was going to collapse any second. "Sir," you called.

"I don't think it's safe for us to stay here," you pleaded. With furrowed, yet confused eyes, the cop replied, "there are no further orders than to watch you. You have the right to remain silent,"

You looked back down at your hands, I have to think of something, you thought,

You sat there in the room, the seconds ticking away. If I don't run away now, I will still have to deal with the integration, you thought.

The sounds outside suddenly became clearer and louder, it was the moment the electricity went down. Both of you and the cop looked toward the opened door. "Yes sir!" The cop next to you gave a salute. It was his lieutenant.

His white beard showed clear long years of work to get to the rank he was at, earning the respect of other, newer cops.

"Go and help the others, I will be here," he ordered. The cop nodded and pulled the gun to his chest, ready to leave. Even worse.

However,

As soon as the door closed behind the cop. The lieutenant standing next to you transformed to a girl.

。。。

Both Dazai and Kunikida reached the location of the sound, only they were seconds too late.

The entire room was a mess, the broken concrete and the dust filled the place right in front of them. Cops were already helping the injured. One cop signaled both of the detectives of the way the fugitive ran toward.

It was a long hallway of white walls. The only echo being the foot stomping of both of the detectives, Kunikida felt as if they were too late. They both stopped to look at the other halls intercepting the one they were running in and check for anyone.

The more they ran, the less noise they heard. They both finally stopped to take a breath, though it was not the case for Dazai.

"The criminal definitely ran away ... we will get him next time. We better get back to... Dazai?" Kunikida stopped mid sentence knowing the look that Dazai was making. Dazai finally met Kunikida's gaze. He said the words slowly and Kunikida knew Dazai was choosing them carefully.

"Kunikida-kun, Maybe the criminal didn't run away, but is actually in disguise,"

Kunikida's silence was a sign for Dazai to continue. "Let's head back to the cop," the cop who told us to go from here. Kunikida continued in his mind.

。。。

You recognized the girl's face as she called someone else through an earpiece. When she realized you were looking, she spat, "I despise you, but those are the boss's orders," rolling her eyes, she walked toward the door.

An easy way out, you remembered what Hina had said before.

This was it.

Another man came into the room, he walked toward where your hands were captured, and manipulated the iron. Your hands were free, and the iron floated like little particles. "You are running out with him, I will look like you and I will go through this investigation," the girl spoke.

She closed her eyes with her palms cupping your face. In a matter of seconds, you were looking at yourself. A chill ran down your spine; it was the only time you actually looked at yourself in a while. You looked tired, black bags under your eyes, the red flush of your cheeks disappeared as well.

She sat down, and the guy manipulated the iron back into her hands. "Let's go," he ordered, and you followed.

。。。

The hall outside the integration room was almost empty; there were only a few people running for the exit, and you both played along.

Making it to the right turn, there were stairs. You both got down without taking a moment to breathe. It hits you then. "How would she know what to say? She didn't ask me about anything," you mumbled close to his ear.

He didn't look at you, but mumbled back to you, "your phone - hacked by us - the second the mafia took you in," hacked, she heard everything, you realized. Even the talk you had about how you were Hotaru's sister. There was no point of lying to her. But was your phone ever hacked before that?

A punch in your gut made you stumble when getting down the stairs; Kenta. Was she listening when you spoke to Kenta all those nights? It was you, you were the reason he was gone.

Being her little pet disgusted you. You had the urge to strangle her the second you'd see her.

But you knew now, it was risky to try anything, first you had to get information about her next step, understand why she helped you escape in the first place.

She sure wanted your skill if that's so, or she wanted to kill you the same way your family all died.

The electricity came back on, and you realized only one set of stairs were left. "There's a motorcycle just outside the exit. It's mine. We get on that and leave," dryly, he said.

Fearing Hina was so much superior than them hating you, you couldn't agree less with them.