Ⅵ: Unexpected Encounter

"Everybody! hands in the air! now!" The man with the handgun demanded.

Everyone did as they were told, fear masking their eyes. You and Dazai did the same as well. "On your knees!" he demanded again as more of them came inside. Dazai scanned each one of them; they were four with handguns, and the fifth one came empty handed.

why? wondered Dazai.

"Stay close to me," Dazai muttered to you, his serious tone catching you off guard. You nodded and did as you were told.

Being used to these kinds of unpredictable events when working in the Jackals, you scanned the intruders as well.

Is he going to hand-fight the hostages to get what he needs? That doesn't sound right. What is his goal? Is it the money? Endless questions roamed in Dazai's head as he watched those criminals grouping the hostages. He glanced back at you, wishing to comfort you, only to see what he didn't expect from a normal young woman.

You were scanning the place, the intruders especially.

His conversation with Atsushi popped into his mind when he witnessed your calm state.

"Stop moving or I'll blow your head off!!" one the four yelled at a young little girl – she had to be no more than six years old. She cried and closed her eyes. Dazai pulled her next to him, catching the intruder's attention. "Acting heroic, aren't we? Hey boss, give me the permission to blow this bastard's head off!" he declared.

boss? Your mind rang at the word. Considering he was empty handed and still called the boss, it only meant one thing for you.

"Not now, let's get what we need and then you can turn this place into a bloodbath," the boss ordered, leading people to yelp in fear. He walked near both of you. Although it was a slight move, Dazai saw you adjust your arms. There was no way he could mistake that adjustment.

You were getting ready to fight.

Many assumptions entered Dazai's mind, but it wasn't the right time to think about it as the so-called boss was face to face with him.

"Mind moving, Prince Charming?" The boss requested; sarcasm clear in his tone. "What a compliment, mister boss! But I have no such interest in men!" he pouted, teasing the big guy. "I said move aside, you dumb shit!" The boss yelled, making you and the people around flinch. Dazai, on the other hand, refused to move an inch.

"And what exactly are you planning to do if I didn't move?" Dazai asked, having enough with the boss' ego.

The boss spread his arms next to his sides and clenched his hands into fists. You observed as knives grew out of them. A skill-user! you exclaimed in your mind.

He raised his arms in a blink of an eye and a knife shot out of the palm of his hand. You lowered your head out of reflex and people gasped. There was dead silence after that, and you were hesitant about looking up.

"That's all you got?" Dazai's calm tone broke the silence, making you look up.

A knife dug into the ATM machine and Dazai tilted his head to dodge it.

"Boss! boss! If I am not mistaken, this is Dazai! A detective from the Armed Detective Agency!" One of the armed men warned.

You noticed how there was a spark of hope in the eyes of the hostages. "And what about it? I could easily dig a knife through this damn detective's head!" he scoffed. "y-you don't understand!" The man begged again.

With no patience left in the boss from the man, the boss turned around to look at him. "I don't understand what!?" He yelled. Dazai stood up to match the same eye level as the boss. "That with a touch from me," answered Dazai as he placed his index finger on the back of the boss' head.