XX: Two Paths Cross

After the 10th call, Dazai wondered whether you fell asleep while the phone was on silent, or something was wrong. He hoped it wasn't the second option.

The clock showed 12:15 am on his phone, and he was only a few minutes away from your apartment complex.
。。。

Putting the keys in, you were glad you were home. Your tensed muscles relaxed as soon as you entered your flower scented room. Going back to close the door, an arm held into yours. You wanted to scream, but he covered your mouth with his other hand.

It was the same guy that stood behind Nakahara. This nightmare was not over.

You tried to pull your arm by punching him with your other fist. He was caught off guard, but he didn't let go.

He looked back at you and his eyes only spoke pure revenge: he wanted you dead at that moment.

Your legs gave up resisting as he pulled out a gun from his back pocket. "no no no please! please don't do this," you pleaded, having little to no energy left in you. Not even the adrenaline of survival was kicking in. "Help me! anyone!" you yelled for help, on which the man did not bother to care.

He was right, who was even here in this apartment to help you? not one logical person lived here. They were all drunk bastards who knocked on your door and cat called you when you were entering or leaving the complex.

No one was left from those who cared about you.

Simply, no one.
。。。

He fastened his steps as he reached the complex. It was unusually quiet, but the wood underneath him made a lot of noise. He stopped in his tracks, and began to listen. There was a faint racket. He started walking while still listening.

The blurred cries of a woman echoed. Dazai fasted his steps again, not wanting to accept that it was your voice.

He was on floor two, and the cries were only clearer, his breaths were heavier. He knew it was you, and part of him was already guilty; he worried he was too late.

"Help me! anyone please," you called, not expecting anyone to come.

At that point, Dazai was basically running to your apartment room. A gun in his hand, he was ready to execute whoever tried to hurt you. "I'm coming Yn!" he called back, hoping his voice reached you.

Your room was only a few rooms away.

A bullet echoed. dead silence soon after.

Within mere seconds, it all came down on Dazai's head.

You were dead, and he was too late.
。。。
It was like someone crushed Dazai's heart in their fist as he walked toward your room.
Three rooms away..

If only he wasn't walking but running to your place.
Two rooms away..

He never knew the effect you took on in his life up until that moment.
One room away..

He regretted telling you everything he did earlier that day.

The silence was too loud for him. There was even faint ringing, echoing in his ear due to the effect of the strong bullet sound. No one came out from the other rooms, and it only made Dazai realize how lonely you were here.

One more step, and he was going to be in your room. The door of the room was slightly open, and Dazai couldn't bring himself to look inside the room. Only then, he heard heavy breathing. light, crying gasps. He took that one step to get a look inside your room.

You were standing there, pale-faced, and on your floor was a grown man, dead. Your gazes met, and there was something else in your gaze other than fear.

Without any second thoughts, Dazai pulled out his phone and called the police.
。。。

"Make sure to come as soon as possible," Dazai ended the call, his gaze meeting yours again. Your tears didn't stop falling, and dazai wanted to run to you and pull you into his embrace so badly, but his job came first, especially in such a situation,

Where you were still some stranger to him.

"Dazai I-" you began, throat sounding all dry and tired. "Don't move, the police are coming," Dazai interrupted you with a neutral voice. Your arms fell to your sides, and he raised the gun at you. You sat on the bed not bothering the gun pointed at you.

Your mind wasn't there with him, so he took it as a chance to study the crime scene.

The dead corpse on the ground was a man he didn't recognize, but his outfit gave Dazai a clue that he was a guard from the Port Mafia. What does the Port Mafia want with Yn? he wondered. His eyes trailed to the source of the blood.

His body tensed.

The bullet seemed to have pierced the guy in the left side of his head. The gun was in his left hand too. Dazai was sure it sounded like the guy wanted Yn dead when he was on his way to her, but now it doesn't make any sense.

The faint rustle of the sheets brought Dazai's attention back to you. "No sudden moves, or I'll shoot," his voice stayed clear and neutral, making you realize that Dazai was on duty.

"What brought you here?" You asked, ignoring his warning.

He didn't say anything at first, but when you looked in his eyes, you saw but a flicker of a familiar emotion. It disappeared so quickly you thought you were imagining it. He took a short breath in and said, "Keep the questions for later, Yamada Yn," he was still doing his job, and he used it as a way to ignore your question for the moment.

It was quiet for a long time. "I'm sorry about today morning," you apologized, breaking that silence. As you suspected, he did not say anything. His gaze focused on you, not listening, but waiting for any sudden move.

Even with him not replying, you continued, "The last few weeks were hard for me, I was wrong for rejecting your help. I was just too focussed on the problems I had on my shoulders, not wanting to burden anyone of them, including you.

"I never realized help was right there next to me waiting for me to call, I didn't mean any word I said today morning, you made me..." you trailed off, throat sore again. Seeing no reaction from him, not even a spark of anything, you retreated from confessing anything more.

Dazai couldn't help but look twice at everything you were saying. You were in a recent crime scene, and the only one alive there.

But deep down, a stupid part of him wanted to wipe your wet cheeks dry from tears. That part wanted to feel you against his chest and make sure you knew you were safe. That part wanted to kiss the fear away the second he first met you.

But he was Dazai. That part of him couldn't dare to show his vulnerability to anyone, not after the last person to truly care about was gone; Oda.

A\N: Hello everyone! I hope you're having a great day and you're enjoying the story. I'm sorry for the slow updates, but I will be taking a short break to get my life together since this term started. I am definitely coming back at the beginning of October with regular updates again. I just don't want to rush in writing the story you know? This story isn't going to be discontinued, I am just taking a small break. Thank for understanding and see you soon!