Ⅹ: Urgent Call

You pulled out your phone to see the caller ID, and everyone was following your actions. Dazai had the last sip of his tea and watched your expression closely.

You faintly furrowed your eyebrows when you read the caller ID. You stood up. Dazai could see your mind drifting away from Kenji's question. Like it was not the biggest problem anymore. "I need to take this call. please, enjoy your time here," you excused yourself and walked out of the room.

When you made sure you were far enough from the busy rooms, you swiped to respond to the call.

You didn't say anything at first because you were able to hear his breathing on the other end. "Yn, you there?" He asked, like he was catching a breath. It was never usual for him to call instead of text in broad daylight.

"Kenta, What's wrong?" You asked, having a bad feeling about it.

"I figured it out, I finally figured it out," he whispered. Why is he whispering? you wondered. "Where are you?" you asked, looking around and making sure no one was listening to your conversation.

"The abandoned building," he answered, only to let your confusion grow. "Kenta, this place is where the Jackals would be. Is that fine?" Your curiosity got the best of you.

"It's okay, we need to be less suspicious too, meeting somewhere else would only raise suspicions. Don't you think so?" He had a point, and you had to agree with him. "Okay then, I'll meet you there in 10 minutes," you finally agreed to meet up with him.

"Okay, thank you, Yn," he said before he ended the call.

He swallowed the lump that grew in his throat as his eyes never left Hina's. She smirked looking down at the misery Kenta was in.

"Even after being beaten almost to death, you only agree to doing this under my ability, how romantic!" she scoffed. Kenta gritted his teeth, feeling as if anger was going to burst him into pieces.

And yet, part of him felt helpless for not being a skill-user.

。。。

"Mika-san. I have an urgent situation," your stern expression made Mika worried. "What's wrong? What happened?" she asked, and you couldn't tell her anything.

"It's nothing serious, don't worry. I'll be back in an hour. hopefully not more than that," you lied. it is serious, your mind couldn't stop racing as you took off your apron and hung it in place.

"Call me if plans change," Mika called as she stood by the cashier. You pushed the front door, but right before you walked out, a hand gripped your wrist. You stopped in your tracks, knowing all too well whose grip that was.

"Where are you going?" he asked, the worry was clear in his tone. You looked back to see Dazai's eyes looking back at you. "Something came up. If you need anything, just ask-"

"You said it was urgent. What's going on?" he asked again, interrupting you, mid-sentence. You knew he was not going to give up until you told him what was going on.

"A friend of mine is not feeling well," you explained. "Let me go with you," he said. It had to be something where he wouldn't want to tag along.

"It's her period, Osamu," you said, dropping the honorific. Dazai noticed how you did that every time you were serious. "Let me buy her some painkillers and drop you by her place at least," he begged. His grip tightened on your wrist, making you look down at it. Soon after, he released his grip.

"s-sorry, I didn't mean to..." he mumbled an apology, looking at the ground when you rubbed the trace of his grip. It was a new side of him. A side you have not seen before.