Ⅶ: Last Destination

The taxi driver slowed down the car as the destination was near. Dazai glanced at the number in the front and pulled out the needed money from his wallet. "Keep the change," he said with a smile.

Dazai exited the car and waited for you to get out to close the door. There were fewer people than in the park. You scanned the place only to stop your eyes at the bridge. The river underneath it glittered under the reflection of the moon.

"Looks pleasantly surreal, doesn't it?" Dazai asked softly, reading your expression. You couldn't help but hum in awe at the scenery in front of you.

"I'll go buy us strawberry crepes from the stores nearby and come back, stay here," he said as you stood in the middle of the bridge. You nodded and looked back at the river.

The water moved slowly but surely, making the reflected moonlight ripple in return. You took in a deep breath, inhaling the faint smell of the river in the air; it always felt refreshing and calming.

With a moment being left alone again, your mind recalled what happened in the ATM station.

The situation became difficult, and you wondered if your act was the best option. You couldn't imagine the other outcome where you get shot happening. Killing was never what you wanted the situation to resort to.

What happened in that station only brought memories that you wanted to bury so bad long ago.

The sight – no – the smell of blood when your mother lied in front of a serpent gaze descendant flashed in your mind. Your eyes were glittering with tears when you saw that scenery. You were only seventeen, having nothing but your older brother and your mother.

Your mother was murdered simply because she had a change of heart, where she couldn't bring herself to kill more people. The serpent gaze descendant that hypnotized her into killing herself viewed her belief as being cowardly, not useful anymore.

Your past ability skill holders, like your mother and your brother, all died just as a proof that the serpent gaze was always stronger.

Since the man holding you hostage in the ATM station wasn't a skill-user, it was easier to use your skill on him.

Corruption, to taint what the naked eye fails to see.

The ability to infiltrate memories, change them, erase them. The only way this skill would work is by touch; skin against another.

You became the only one holding this ability. To Hina, your ability was the only plan to get into the mind of her target, Dazai, and learn all about him through his memories.

Using your ability on normal people worked just fine. When that person is a skill-user, they have to be unconscious for the ability to work. Getting Dazai to be vulnerable, you sighed in despair.

Just how am I gonna do that? you wondered in your mind.

"Here I come with delicious strawberry crepes!" Dazai called, distracting you from your endless thoughts.

He had two crepes in his hands and a paper bag with a tall bread loaf peeking out of it.

"Finally, after a long tiring night," he sighed and bit into the crepe, you took a bite as well. You cherished the taste in your mouth a little longer before swallowing it.

"Yum!" you mumbled and took another bite. Dazai glanced at you, your face lit by the moonlight. That sight warmed Dazai's heart, knowing that after all what happened, he still managed to make you happy through this date.

You noticed him staring at you as you ate your crepe, so you stopped and looked at him. "What's wrong?" you asked, your hand reaching your face unconsciously.