ⅠⅠ: Finally, Some Clarity

The repetitive tapping of her heels against the wooden ground almost made you want to stab her to death, but you had to keep kneeling as she, whom everyone called 'boss' in the Jackals, stood right in front of you.

Hina

"I'm in. I just need extra time to get his trust and then I will be able to get into his head," you reported, staring at her scarlet pointed heels. You heard her sigh, but you tried to keep your posture as still as possible. One glance and count yourself dead.

The Serpent Gaze.

Her skill made her superior to all the people in the Jackals. One fast eye contact with her and people couldn't look away. By that, Hina, the boss, hypnotized people into killing themselves.

You never once looked at her face, you got used to always looking at her shoes. Even when she asked you to look into her eyes, you never did. You were punished for it; in ways a person wouldn't imagine. You always told yourself it was better than to be killed in her ways.

"Three months, you said?" she asked, repeating your statement. You hummed in response. She sighed again, not good. You gritted your teeth holding back the fear to show. "That's such a long time, I am impatient," she nagged, and fell silent again. Your mind didn't stop creating worst case scenarios.

"Anyways..." she started after some silence.

"I expect this job to be done with finesse," she continued. You nodded, keeping your gaze at the ground. "Dazai will be exterminated soon and then, your vision of 'the purity' will be soon become an absolute truth," you confirmed and stood up. "Excuse me for now," you declared and turned around.

"Yn," she called. You froze in your tracks. "This is your chance to get the [last name]s back on my side again," she reminded you. Your expression didn't change since the other members still had their eyes on you. With a stern voice, you said: "I didn't forget about the exception I requested from you,"

"Huh... still planning to be a coward and run away?" she chuckled.

You wanted to strangle her, but your body couldn't dare to.

You didn't say anything. In fact, you didn't know what to say. This family name had history with the Jackals. Hina's family, which is now unknown, took over the leadership after many arguments. Those damn eyes, you thought.

Since then, your parents, grandparents were slaves to the Serpent Gaze.

You walked out of the abandoned building, trying to only think about your next step for this suicidal mission you assigned yourself in. However, in the back of your mind, deep inside, the last words your brother yelled played on repeat, like a curse.

run away, don't look back.

。。。

Fewer cars filled the street, and the man you were going to meet stood right in front of the mentioned supermarket.

"You made it!" he called, waving at you. You smiled and waved back. When you reached him, his hand soon found its way into yours.

"So, what's the plan? where are we going?" you asked as he already took the lead. "There's this small bar that I always go to. It's really nice and quiet inside," he said as he looked ahead. bar? you wondered in your mind.

"Dazai-san, I don't drink," you stated. He stopped walking like he just remembered something.

"Are you underage? How old are you?" he asked, doubting if dating you was even legal. It wasn't that for you.

"I'm 21, It's just that I'm not much of a drinker," you clarified, reading his surprised expression. A sigh of relief escaped his lips and you both started walking again.

"Do you perhaps... want to go somewhere else... you're comfortable?" he asked. you sensed the awkwardness in the atmosphere between you two. "It's not that, it's fine with me. Just know that I wouldn't be drinking," you explained in a lighter tone in hope to break that atmosphere. He nodded at you and took a turn into an alley.

It was quiet and dim inside. The faded music played in the background and there was only one person sitting at one of the tables.

"Same as always," Dazai ordered and then looked at you, "you sure?" he asked. "Just water would do," you responded. With that, both of you settled at a table in the corner near the music source.

"So, tell me about yourself. Why would such a beautiful young lady want to die?" he asked with his chin resting on the palm of his hand. "aren't we going in too fast?" you asked as the drinks were placed on the table.

"we're both dying together. Maybe getting into the matter straight away would strengthen this relationship," he said in a light tone. You had a hard time making up a convincing lie at the spot. Your hesitant gaze gave Dazai a different idea on how to start a conversation.

"Okay, change of subject, what do you do for a living?" he asked after having a sip from his drink. "I work at a puppies cafe," you answered, and it was the truth. Aside from having to work under Hina, you worked somewhere more peaceful to get money to live. However, Dazai didn't look so happy.

"Is there... something wrong?" you asked, reading his expression.

"no. not really, it's just that I'm not a big fan of dogs in general. well... I know someone annoyingly short that would think of it as heaven," he said, mumbling the last part mostly to himself. "Pardon me?" you asked again, finding it very difficult to understand him. He just waved it off and had another sip. you drank from your water as well.

"What about you, Dazai-san? What do you do for living?" you asked, pretending that you were oblivious. "I work at an agency, solving crimes... bringing justice... all that," he said with a bored tone as he traced the edge of the cup with his finger. The conversation fell dead after that for a few seconds. You had to not bore him, or else he would leave you.

His job, you thought. He might still like you if you showed interest in where he worked. "So, Dazai-san," "Osamu," he said, interrupting you. "Osamu?" you repeated, not understanding what he meant. "If we're in a relationship, then we should be on a first name basis," he explained.

"Oh- sure. so, Osamu-san, about your job, it must be a risky one, considering you have to 'bring justice' huh?" you asked. He hummed in response. You dared to ask him the next question...

"I'm curious, did you ever kill someone?" his eyes shot back to yours. With a smile, he said: "Only those who were deserving,"

deserving ... huh?

You smiled in response but clenched your fists under the table as rage grew in you. "What about your family, Yn-san? Do you live with them?" he wondered.

"I came here for college. My parents send me money, but I work for most of it," Lies. Lies. Lies.

You had to improvise to be convincing. His eyes widened as he placed the cup on the table. "Such an independent woman I see, I admire you already," he said with loving eyes. get lost "thank you," you said in a convincing tone.

You looked at the watch hanging on the wall. It had already been an hour, and you had to get home early when people were still around.

"Want to go already?" there was a tone of displease in his voice when he asked. You looked back to see his pouting expression. "I'll still see you around," you explained. "Let's exchange numbers then," he suggested.

"How about you come see me at the cafe?" you asked as he dialed his number into your phone and looked up after pushing the phone back to you.

"I have a better Idea, meet me at the location that I'll send you. I want to introduce you to my friends," he suggested. Even better. You smiled and hummed in agreement.

"Then it's settled, I'll be off at the end of this week. I'll make some time and drop by at your workplace," you assured him as you stood up. He stood up along with you, "Let me walk you home," he offered his hand. You had no choice but to take it.