❝ CHAPTER 15 ❞

▌Chapter 15 ─ Lake-Town ▌

Chapter 15 ─ Lake-Town

      ━━━━━ ELIRIEN STOOD WITH Thessalia behind the rest of the company, something about the human seemed so familiar to her. Bard was rolling the barrels onto the ship as he talked to the company.

"What makes you think I would help you?" He asked them.

"Those boots have seen better days. As has that coat. Uh, no doubt you have some hungry mouths to feed. How many bairns?" Balin asked him.

"A boy and two girls." Bard answered, continuing to roll the barrels onto the boat.

"And your wife, I imagine she's a beauty."

"Aye. She was." Bard looked back at Balin.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to─"

"Oh, come on, come on. Enough of the niceties." Dwalin mumbled. Elirien looked over at the dwarf, sending him a disapproving look.

"What's your hurry?" Bard asked the dwarf.

"What's it to you?"

"I would like to know who you are and what you are doing in these lands." Bard walked back over to Dwalin and leaned on one of the barrels staring at the dwarf.

"We are simple merchants from the Blue Mountains journeying to see our kin in the Iron Hills."

"Simple merchants, you say?" He proceeded to roll the barrel onto the boat.

"We need food, supplies, weapons. Can you help us?" Thorin asked him

"I know where these barrels came from."

"What of it?"

"I don't know what business you had with the Elves... but I don't think it ended well. No one enters Lake-Town but by leave of the master. All his wealth comes from trade with the Woodland Realm. He would see you in irons before risking the wrath of King Thranduil." Bard threw the rope over to Balin who caught it. Thessalia bumped Elirien's arm causing the Elf to look at her.

Balin looked at Thorin. "Offer him more." Thorin whispered.

"I'll wager there are ways to enter that town unseen."

"Aye. But for that... you would need a smuggler."

"For which we would pay double."

"If you let me talk to the Master I can assure him that King Thranduil will not show his wrath. We've met before." Elirien said, stepping forward.

She remembered who the human was to her. She had grown up with him for a short period of time before she left. Bard looked at the Elf, it was like he was seeing a ghost. Bard stepped off the boat and walked towards Elirien as she walked towards him. The company watched the interaction between the two.