❝ CHAPTER 3 ❞

▌Chapter 3 ─ Funeral Arrangements ▌

Chapter 3 ─ Funeral Arrangements

      ━━━━━ THEY WERE STILL sitting, Elirien had since placed her eyes on Balin who looked around at each of them. "You forget: the front gate is sealed. There is no way into the mountain." Balin informed them.

"That, my dear Balin, is not entirely true." Gandalf said, showing the key to everyone.

"How came you by this?" Thorin proceeded to ask him.

"It was given to me by your father. By Thrain. For safekeeping. It is yours now."

Gandalf handed it over to Thorin who accepted it, Elirien looked over at Gandalf who proceeded to look at her and Thessalia.

"If there is a key... there must be a door." Fili announced.

Gandalf pointed to the map, "these runes speak of a hidden passage to the lower halls."

"There's another way in." The excitement in Kili's voice was evident.

"Well, if we can find it, but Dwarf doors are invisible when closed." Gandalf sighed. "The answer lies hidden somewhere in this map, and I do not have the skill to find it. But there are others in Middle-Earth who can." Thorin looked over at Gandalf upon his words, Thessalia proceeded to exchange a look with Elirien. The two knew exactly who they were talking about.

"The task I have in mind will require a great deal of stealth and no small amount of courage. But if we are careful, and clever, I believe that it can be done."

"That's why we need a burglar."

"Hmm. And a good one too. An expert, I'd imagine." Bilbo said, looking at them.

"And are you?" Oin questioned.

"Am I what?" Bilbo asked.

"He said he's an expert! Hey!" Gloin said. Elirien sighed, not liking where this was going and how it was being handled.

"Me? No. No, no, no. I'm not a burglar. I've never stolen a thing in my life."

"Well, I'm afraid I have to agree with Mr. Baggins. He's hardly burglar material." Balin spoke, seeming to defend Bilbo.

"Nope." Bilbo spoke softly.

"Aye, the wild is no place for gentle folk who can neither fight nor fend for themselves." Dwalin replied.

And just like that the dwarves started to argue with each other, their argument over Bilbo seemed to make Gandalf angry and upset. In Gandalf's corner it started to get dark as he stood up.

"Enough! If I say Bilbo Baggins is a burglar, then a burglar he is. Hobbits are remarkably light on their feet. In fact, they can pass unseen by most, if they choose. And, while the dragon is accustomed to the smell of Dwarf, the scent of a Hobbit is all but unknown to him, which gives us a distinct advantage."

Gandalf sat back down in his chair looking at Thorin. "You asked me to find the 17th member of this company, and I have chosen Mr. Baggins. There's a lot more to him than appearances suggest. And he's got a great deal more to offer than any of you know. Including himself." Gandalf said, looking over at Bilbo.

Elirien looked at the Hobbit who still seemed to have a shocked look resting on his features. Gandalf then proceeded to look over at Thorin who looked back at him.

"You must trust me on this."

"Very well. We will do it your way." Thorin replied.

"No, no."

"Give him the contract."

"It's just the usual. Summary of out-of-pocket expenses... funeral arrangements, so forth." Balin said, leaning over the table to hand him the contract.

Thorin took it out of Balin's hands, shoving it into Bilbo's chest who grabbed onto it. "Funeral arrangements?" Bilbo questioned as he began to unfold the contract. Thorin picked himself out of his chair leaning over to Gandalf to talk to him. Elirien looked at Thorin as he looked at her. The two seemed to stare at each other for what seemed like forever. "Incineration?" Bilbo questioned causing the Elf and Dwarf to pull their eye contact away from each other. Even though Elirien was half human her prominent features were that of Elves.

"Oh, aye. He'll melt the flesh off your bones in the blink of an eye." Bofur told him.

Elirien looked over at the dwarf, knowing that was not the right way to go for the Hobbit, who most definitely was not going to come onto the quest now.

"You all right, laddie?" Balin asked him.

"Yeah." Bilbo called out, placing his hands on his knees and breathing in and out trying to stay calm. "Feel a bit faint."

"Think furnace with wings." Bofur said, leaning forward.

"That's making it worse." Elirien said, looking at the dwarf who seemed to ignore her.

"Air. I-I-I need air."

"Flash of light, searing pain, then poof! You're nothing more than a pile of ash."

Elirien picked herself up from her chair watching Bilbo change his posture more than once. "Nope." He fell to the ground passing out.

"Oh, very helpful, Bofur." Gandalf said standing up from his chair soon after.

───── ☾☾☾ ─────

Elirien leaned against the wall, in another room away from the dwarves. Thessalia had followed her into the room. She sat down on the floor looking up at the elf. "Are we sure we should be doing this?" Elirien asked, looking over at the human.

"Yes, we should. They need our help. I think it's the least we can do." Thessalia responded, sending Elirien a small smile.

"Yeah, and what happens when they find out what I am?" Elirien whispered looking around as she said those words.

"I don't know. Maybe they'll change their minds and realize that they were wrong about Elves." Thessalia whispered back, trying her hardest to make sure they weren't caught talking about it.

"They're going to be mad. Especially when they discover who my birth father is. I'm lucky I have different looks."

"Yes you are, now stop talking about it." Thessalia said, staring at her friend.

Suddenly humming could be heard from the room that they were in, Thessalia stood up walking with Elirien to the other room where the Dwarves had gathered. They stopped in the room. both their eyes traveling over to Thorin who stood by the fire.

"Far over the Misty Mountains cold to dungeons deep and caverns old we must away 'ere break of day to find our long forgotten gold."

Soon enough the rest of the Dwarves joined in and started singing, some of them moved closer to Thorin and the others while some of them stood up from their chairs.

"The pines were roaring on the height. The winds were moaning in the night, the fire was red, it flaming spread the trees like torches blazed with light."