❝ CHAPTER 5 ❞

▌Chapter 5 ─ Stone Trolls At Dawn ▌

Chapter 5 ─ Stone Trolls At Dawn

━━━━━ THEY HAD MOVED onward from their last spot, and on this day they were giving rain. Elirien enjoyed the rain, so it was no surprise to Gandalf and Thessalia that she had most of her armor off. Her hair was wet, and she tried her hardest to keep her ears hidden. She couldn't risk Thorin finding out about her until it was the right time. Thessalia also kept an eye on her to make sure that if her hair were to uncover her ears she could say something.

"Here, Mr. Gandalf, can't you do something about this deluge?" Dori asked him, causing the wizard to turn back towards him.

"It is raining, master dwarf, and it will continue to rain until the rain is done. If you wish to change the weather of the world, you should find yourself another wizard." Gandalf told him.

"Are there any?" Bilbo proceeded to ask him.

"What?"

"Other wizards."

"There are five of us. The greatest of our order is Saruman the white. Then there are the two blue wizards... do you know, I've quite forgotten their names."

"And who is the fifth?"

"Well, that would be Radagast the brown."

"Is he a great wizard? Or is he more like you?"

"I think he's a very great wizard... in his own way. He's a gentle soul who prefers the company of animals to others. Elirien is the exception. He keeps a watchful eye over the vast forest lands to the east. And a good thing too, for always evil will look to find a foothold in this world."

───── ☾☾☾ ─────

Gypsy came to a stop while Elirien looked up at Thorin as he turned his pony back towards them. She suddenly felt off in this location, and she was determined to find out why.

"We'll camp here for the night." Thorin spoke.

Elirien jumped off Gypsy petting her neck. Thessalia came over to her and nodded her head. After that the Elf took off towards the run down house, following behind Gandalf. The two looked around the house, or what was left of it anyway.

"A farmer and his family used to live here." Gandalf said, still looking around.

"Something's wrong." Elirien announced, causing Gandalf to look at her.

"I think it would be wiser to move on. We could make for the Hidden Valley." Gandalf said, as Thorin walked over to the two.

"I have told you already: I will not go near that place." Thorin told him.

"Why not? The Elves could help us. We could get food, rest, advice." Elirien stayed back listening to their conversation while Gandalf followed behind Thorin.

"I do not need their advice."

"We have a map that we cannot read. Lord Elrond could help us."

"Help? A dragon attacks Erebor. What help came from the Elves? Orcs plunder Moria, desecrate our sacred halls. The Elves looked on and did nothing. And you ask me to seek out the very people who betrayed my grandfather. Betrayed my father."

"You are neither of them. I did not give you that map and key for you to hold on to the past."

"I did not know that they were yours to keep." Gandalf turned around and walked away leaving Thorin and Elirien in the house. Elirien looked over at Thorin with a dirty look on her face.

"You could have handled that better." Elirien said, soon taking off leaving everyone behind. Thessalia decided to follow her. She wasn't far from the camp that had been set up but she didn't want to be seen by them either.

Thessalia came up behind her, which caused her to pull her bow out. She grabbed an arrow from her sheath and pulled it back aiming it towards Thessalia only to see that it was her. She lowered her bow, moving the arrow back into its sheath.

"Why did you follow me?" Elirien questioned the human.

"I know you, and I came on this quest because I was told to protect you." Thessalia informed her.

"Why would I need protection, when I'm capable of protecting myself?"

"Yes you are very capable. Lord Elrond asked me to do so, I can't tell you why. That is just what I was asked to do."

"Very well." The two continued forward, moving further away from the camp. They didn't realize that it was almost dawn. At that point they turned around and decided to head back to camp. Upon arriving at camp they noticed that the Dwarves and Hobbit were nowhere to be seen.

"Where'd they go?" Thessalia asked, looking back at Elirien who proceeded to walk around the camp.

"Follow me." Elirien said, after looking to see some tracks. The two followed the tracks until they were led to another small spot where trolls had the Dwarves. Bilbo had been talking to the trolls which meant that he had a plan. And soon after Gandalf appeared at the top of the stone.

"The dawn will take you all!" Gandalf said.

"Who's that?"

"No idea."

"Can we eat him too?"

Gandalf lifted his staff in the air and brought it down onto the stone breaking it in half. The sun appeared, and soon enough the trolls started screaming as they turned to stone. Eventually they were frozen. Elirien and Thessalia moved through the bushes coming out, as the dwarves started laughing and cheering. Elirien and Thessalia walked over to Gandalf as he hit one of the trolls with his staff.

"Where did you go to, if I may ask?" Thorin questioned, walking over to Gandalf, Elirien and Thessalia.

"To look ahead." Gandalf answered.

"What brought you back?"

"Looking behind. Nasty business. Still, they're all in one piece."

"No thanks to your burglar."

"He had the nous to play for time. None of the rest of you thought of that. Elirien and Thessalia weren't there to help." There was a pause, Thorin seemed to look down at the ground. But then his eyes somehow caught Elirien's as she looked at him. Before anything more could happen, she looked towards the trolls avoiding eye contact. "They must have come down from the Ettenmoors." Gandalf said, breaking the silence.

"Since when do mountain trolls venture this far south?" Thorin questioned him.

"Not for an age. Not since a darker power ruled these lands."

Thorin, Elirien and Thessalia all looked at Gandalf. Elirien had been alive and heard most of the stories but not all of them. While Thessalia had heard of all the stories. Either way they knew what Gandalf was talking about.

"They could not have moved in daylight."

"There must be a cave nearby." Thorin walked forward in search of the cave and of course Elirien was quick to follow behind him, having her bow at the ready just in case.