Two Years Ago

January 2000

I glanced at the little 3 year old boy beside me he was the same age as me but far more shy. I sort of still remembered the day we first met it was 2 years ago.

"Hi, I'm Karen and this is my husband Manuel, and our little boy Shawn." The pretty lady bent down by her son and urged him foward. "Say hi, baby." She cooed.

He looked up at his dad who was giving him an encouraging smile, "Hi." His response was hardly audible. I stood infront of my mom and grinned at him, I didn't really have any friends but I guess he could be mine.

"We are moving in the house next door, and just wanted to see if there were any children Shawn's age. But I see there is." She said as she smiled down at me as I was trying to get the nervous Shawn to talk.

He played with his car as he drove through the sand. He made the noises for effect while I made sand castles. We had grown on each other, he blew away some hair from his eyes.

I giggled as his brown eyes crossed for moment, he looked at me his eyes widened. "What?" He asked putting down his car. "You have pretty eyes." I said placing a flag on my castle.

I glanced back over at him because he wasn't saying anything. His cheeks were a shocking pink and his small fingers were curled around the car.

"T-thanks." He stuttered, I nodded in acknowledgement and continued building up my kingdom.