one

01 | CHAPTER ONE —
NOT GOOD ENOUGH
❝ what did i do wrong? ❞

"GOOD JOB GIRLS,"  the volleyball coach's voice echoed through the gym

"GOOD JOB GIRLS,"  the volleyball coach's voice echoed through the gym. "Let's wrap it up for today." The girls sighed in relief and let the volleyballs drop to the floor while they rushed to pick up their water bottles.  "Except for you, Yu-ri. I want to speak with you."

Yu-ri huffed and turned around, making her way to her coach. She knew better than to think she'd be let off the hook that easily. "Yes Coach Ji-soo?"

The older lady bent down to pick up a stray ball and tucked it under her arm. "You're the best setter the girls team has had in a while, you know that?"

Yu-ri couldn't help but smile at the compliment. She only joined the team a couple months ago and initially signed up to complete a box on her bucket list. She didn't expect to grow genuine love for the sport. A bonus being that she was miraculously super gifted in it, becoming one of the best players on the team in such a short amount of time.

"But you can do better." Coach Ji-soo continued, making Yu-ri's smile fall from her face. "You're our setter, you carry the rest of the team. You're in charge out there, the other girls look for you."

Just like that, Yu-ri's joy was cut short. "You're the backbone on the court. I know it's hard for you but you need to communicate with your teammates, otherwise the ball won't make it over that net."

Yu-ri nodded. Of course, she knew she could do better. There was still so much for her to learn and she new she could improve but hearing it every practice, how she was good but not good enough, was draining.

"I understand." She hummed.

Coach Ji-soo nodded back and patted her on the shoulder. "That's all, you can go."

The young girl quickly bowed and turned around to pick up her bag from the bench. She dug inside and rummaged around for her phone. Pulling it out, she checked her notifications and clicked the message sent a minute ago from her best friend.

Chicken Cheong-san 🐥
just finished cleaning, we're leaving now.
meet us on the field!

She didn't bother to respond but shut her phone off and began to sprint towards the field, ignoring the pain from how sore her legs were.

Her friends had a habit of leaving her behind when it came to volleyball practices. "Coach Ji-soo always keeps you for so long!" Gyeong-su complained every time. He wasn't wrong but, "It wouldn't hurt to wait!" Yuri would reply in defense.