nineteen

19 | CHAPTER NINETEEN —
SACRIFICE
❝ your scent. it's so strong. ❞

AS SU-HYEOK AND YU-RI turned the corner and ran to the center of the rooftop where the others were, Yu-ri's feet halted at the sight of Gwi-nam who stood over Cheong-san, ready to attack

Yu-ri gasped when On-jo ran to them, attempting to remove Gwi-nam from their friend but was pushed to the floor.

Su-hyeok dropped Yu-ri's hand and hurried over to Gwi-nam while Yu-ri ran to On-jo. She helped her up from the floor and watched as Su-hyeok kicked Gwi-nam in the side.

They fought each other, throwing punches and dodging hits as the others dragged Cheong-san away. Gwi-nam brought his foot up, kicking Su-hyeok once in the stomach and it sent him flying to the floor only steps away .

"Su-hyeok!" Yu-ri yelled, sprinting over to him. She lifted his head up from the floor and attempted to help him regain his breath.

Gwi-nam was about to walk over to them when he paused. He inhaled a large breath from his nose, almost as if he was sniffing the air. "Something smells," His shoulders dropped. "Good."

At this, a sharp pain shot through the cut on Yu-ri's arm and she let out out a hiss, clutching onto it tightly.

Gwi-nam turned his head towards her and his brows furrowed. He marched over to her making Yu-ri stand from her crouched position to act as a barrier between him and Su-hyeok, giving Dae-su and Wu-jin enough time to help him up from the floor.

Once Gwi-nam approached Yu-ri, he paused, sniffing the air once again. His eyes landed on hers and he stared at her intensely. "Why do you smell so good?"

Yu-ri gulped. She didn't want to be afraid of him but the way he looked at her sent a wave of shivers down her spine.

Somehow, Yu-ri's scent was ambrosial, filling Gwi-nam's senses pleasantly. It was sweet and gentle, contrasting the strong iron scent of blood and dirt in his mouth that would seemingly never go away. Yet as he stood in front of her, breathing in her intoxicating aroma, his zombie urges appeared to vanish.

The boy moved closer to her, making Cheong-san and Su-hyeok take a step forward in concern. "Leave her alone!"

Gwi-nam growled. Suddenly, he tugged onto Yu-ri's shoulders and moved her in front of his body, securing her arms behind her back. "Don't come any closer or I'll bite her."

Su-hyeok's face was quivering with worry and he squirmed in Dae-su and Wu-jin's grasp as they held him back.

Yu-ri tensed, feeling Gwi-nam's hot breath on her neck. Her mind was running a mile a minute as she tried to conjure up a plan to get out of his clutches but as she stared at her friends who looked back at her with terrified expressions, she could only freeze in fear.