twenty

20 | CHAPTER TWENTY —
RAINDROPS AND RESCUES
they don't care about us

"HOLD ON," Nam-ra spoke from across the fire, eyeing the skyline suspiciously

"HOLD ON," Nam-ra spoke from across the fire, eyeing the skyline suspiciously. "Did you hear that?"

Yu-ri straightened her back and pushed her hair behind her shoulders to listen. It was difficult to identify but she soon recognized the sound of a helicopter in the distance. "I hear it," Yu-ri nodded. "A helicopter."

"The fire!" Wu-jin exclaimed. "They see us!"

The boys ran to pick up pieces of wood from the bonfire. They waved the torches in the air and everyone began yelling, hoping the rescuers would get close enough hear them.

The helicopter's light shone directly on them and it hovered above the rooftop. Cheers erupted from the students as they pulled each other close and jumped in excitement. The strong wind blew them a few steps back as the door to the helicopter opened and ropes flew out. Soldiers dropped down from the helicopter and spun around, whipping their guns out from their holsters.

"Whoa! Hey!" Yu-ri threw her hands up in defense, backing into Su-hyeok's chest.

Two other soldiers slid down the ropes and the helicopter whirred away making Cheong-san furrow his brows. He stepped forward to say something until one soldier pointed his gun at him. "Get down. All of you."

"Sir," Dae-su spoke. "Can you please help us?"

The soldier ignored him, "Face down on the ground! Get down!"

Around her, the others began to lower themselves to the floor so Yu-ri followed. She got on her knees, then flat on her stomach as the soldiers approached them, holding thermal scanners.

"They're checking our temperatures." Yu-ri whispered, glancing at Nam-ra.

The girl covered her eye with her hair and Yu-ri gulped when the men made their way to them. The soldier held the scanner to Yu-ri's temple and it beeped, the screen illuminating green.

"Clear."

Yu-ri let out a small breath of relief but quickly sucked it back in when they scanned Nam-ra's forehead. The device beeped, only this time, it was red. "Temperature is 34.5. Providing a warming blanket." The soldier said and pulled one out to throw over Nam-ra.

Yu-ri sighed, dropping her head.

"One has hypothermia, The rest are normal." The solider spoke to someone through his helmet. "We'll rescue after this mission's complete. Over."