seventeen

17 | CHAPTER SEVENTEEN —
TALKS AROUND A FIRE
i go crazy when i'm in love

THE SURVIVORS that found themselves stuck in the rooftop of the school, hadn't given up just yet

THE SURVIVORS that found themselves stuck in the rooftop of the school, hadn't given up just yet. Though the helicopter left them, they had faith that it was just an accident. Of course, they wouldn't go back down the stairs so their only option was to create a sign.

Now, they were gathering material from the junk that was scattered around on the rooftop. "Anything big and colorful," Joon-yeong had instructed.

Yu-ri could barely move her arm. With every object that she lifted up, it was like she could feel her cut opening more. She tried to work through the pain, picking up objects and biting back an expression, so the others wouldn't worry.

"Here, let me take that," Cheong-san said, appearing beside her. He lifted a wooden plank from her hand.

She smiled at him as a thank you and shifted on her feet when she realized Cheong-san had not taken his gaze off of her.

"You're okay, right?" He asked, looking her up and down.

"Mhm, I'm fine," She lied through her teeth, forcing a smile on her face.

Things had felt different between them ever since that incident in the classroom when the group found out Nam-ra was bitten. It felt weird to argue with each other because they had never done so in the past. But, especially now that they were without Gyeong-su, Yu-ri knew they'd need to stick together no matter what. Whatever disagreement they had, they'd work through because they were best friends and they were all they had.

"You shouldn't be worrying about me anyway. What you should be worrying about is how sloppy that 'S' looks." Yu-ri joked, nodding in the direction of the 'SOS' sign they'd been making.

"Oh really?" Cheong-san put his hand on his hip and tapped his foot sassily. "Well why don't you get over there and fix it?"

"You see, I tried but you took the materials out of my hand so if anything, this is your fault." Yu-ri smiled, playfully kicking him in the ankle.

"I was just trying to be nice because you're hurt and all," He shrugged dramatically. "But I can give it back if you want me to."

Yu-ri held up her hands and backed away. "Nuh uh, you've made your decision. Now, I'll just have to make you my personal maid. Lift that piece of wood up for me please."

Cheong-san scoffed and waved his arm at Yu-ri dismissively. "Go bother someone else."

"Hey!" Yu-ri hit him on his shoulder. "You came over to me."