fourteen

14 | CHAPTER FOURTEEN —
THE BITE
a one time thing

RUNNING THROUGH THE HALLWAYS to the music room, Yu-ri's mind went blank

RUNNING THROUGH THE HALLWAYS to the music room, Yu-ri's mind went blank. Nam-ra had been bitten. She was bitten right in front of Yu-ri and Yu-ri did nothing to stop it. To say she felt guilty, would be an understatement.

Yet, over everything, she was confused. Gwi-nam had been the one to bite Nam-ra; Gwi-nam who was walking and talking and breathing like a human. Yu-ri recalled the way his face was blood-soaked and one of his eyes was missing. She recalled the way that he seemed to be ten times stronger than he had been before, somehow even taking Su-hyeok to the group which was something was never capable of.

If Nam-ra was going to turn, that meant Yu-ri had failed at protecting her group and she didn't know what do if that were the case.

Yu-ri blinked away a few tears that managed to fall and her eyes widened when she saw the group standing in the hallway, Cheong-san in front. She let out an audible sigh of relief.

"Go inside!" Su-hyeok yelled a them. "They're coming!"

They scrambled inside the music room, Su-hyeok pushing Yu-ri in front of him so he could turn around and shut the door right as the zombies approached it. Inside, they hurried to close the curtains, creating a border between them and the zombies.

"Cheong-san." Yu-ri huffed and he turned around to her with a guilty look. Yu-ri ran to him, wrapping her arms around his neck. He put his arms around her waist and squeezed her gently to let her know he was there.

She didn't want to let go, afraid the minute she did, he'd disappear again. But he didn't and when she pulled away, she examined his face. "You're okay?"

He nodded, managing a small smile for his best friend. "I'm okay."

Yu-ri's face dropped and she punched him on the shoulder. He hissed, rubbing his arm. "Don't pull that shit again. I'm serious, chicken."

Cheong-san pulled Yu-ri's hair and she let out a small yelp. He grinned at her teasingly and she glared at him, sitting down on a table.

The rest of the group sighed, plopping down in chairs to catch their breaths. They were exhausted, tired of running and tired of fearing for their lives. They were tired of never being able to make it out of that damned school.

"We can't go to the roof?" Hyo-ryung huffed. "We're trapped again, aren't we?"

"There are zombies out there so...let's just think a little." Su-hyeok answered.