thirty

30 | CHAPTER THIRTY
SPARKS FLY
" never "

THE GROUP OF TEENAGERS huddled around the burning fire

THE GROUP OF TEENAGERS huddled around the burning fire. The sparks crackled and popped into the cold air, providing them warmth as light snow began to fall from the sky. They stood in a circle and stared at the flames in front of them, much like they did when they had been trapped up there merely months prior.

Except, a few things were missing—people. Joon-yeong, Wu-jin, Ji-min, Cheong-san, Nam-ra and Yu-ri were all absent from the circle and it made it feel entirely too empty.

"Who do you think?" Hyo-ryung broke the silence, asking the question all of them were wondering. Who would've possibly started the fire?

"Maybe," Dae-su sighed. "It was the kids who came back to the school just like us."

Min-jin tapped him on the shoulder with a stick that she had picked up from the ground. "Maybe it was a youtuber or something, like those kids who like haunted houses."

"No." On-jo began quietly. "Nam-ra. Maybe she lit it because she missed us."

Behind the closed door, Yu-ri sat with her back resting against it. She leaned close so she was able to hear what they were saying, and she bit her lip as if trying to prevent herself from breathing too loud.

"How do you know that?" Hyo-ryung asked.

On-jo looked down, hesitant to continue as to not give the rest of them false hope. "I don't know for sure, but I think I do."

Yu-ri swallowed. She had no idea what exactly had happened to her friends after she died four months ago and they had to leave her to go towards the quarantine camp but after seeing them walking without Nam-ra, she could only assume. She guessed that Nam-ra had split up from the group after her death. There was no way the class president would've deemed it safe enough to go with them to the quarantine camp when her zombie urges were so strong.

Yu-ri knew Nam-ra and she knew that the girl would've sacrificed herself if it meant keeping those she cared about safe. They were too much alike that way.

The sound of gravel crunched beneath footsteps, echoing off of the rooftop walls and filling the quiet that surrounded the group of teenagers.

"You made it."

Collectively they turned their heads towards the voice and everyone's eyes widened at the sight of Nam-ra standing before them.

"Oh!" Dae-su exclaimed. "The Prez."

Yu-ri scooted over to sit in front of the crack in the door. She squinted her eyes, attempting to see onto the rooftop in hopes of getting a glimpse at her friends.