6. My Heart Is In Shock.

-Seven Years Later-

(Cindy POV)

“So Dr. Lovelace, When are we going to get married.” Earl was my favorite patient even though I hated he was here. He’s a sweet 72 year old man. I had just finished his checkup.

“Oh Earl! You know I’m getting married soon!” I met a great guy named Steven Sanders after I had moved. Things were going great for me. I had achieved my goal of being a doctor. I was one of the top doctors in my area at that!

“Yeah I know, But I don’t think that pretty boy is good enough for you.” I giggled. “You need a good man who is wise and has experienced many things in the world.” He coughed a bit.

“Oh really and who might be able to do that?” I smiled already knowing the answer.

“Why me of course!” He chuckled. I giggled to. “I can help you and you can keep me healthy and young!” I laughed.

“Mr. Simmons, a woman like me needs extra care and I think my needs would just give you another heart attack!” He smiled.

“Just cause I look old doesn’t mean I can’t do nothing!” I smiled.

“Well what I need you to do is eats your dinner and rest a bit ok?”

“Oh alright. You know, I’m getting really tired of this hospital food!”

“Yeah well I’m getting tired of you not sticking with your diet. I hate seeing you in bad shape.” He laughed.

“For 50 years I never cheated on my wife or anything. But know I’m cheating on my diet only to see you my dear.” He smiled. I smiled back.

“Aww that’s so sweet yet dangerous.”

“Love can be dangerous sometimes.”

“That’s true I guess.”  He started eating.

“So how is your daughter?”

“Oh little Makaylah! She’s great. She should be up here later. She just loves your stories Mr. Simmons.”

“Aww that’s good. I really enjoy the little ones company. I wish my own children brought my grandkids up. I hardly see any of them anymore.” I felt bad for him. I was Earl’s primary doctor and never saw any of his children. His wife Helen was always by his side until she died of a heart attack a year ago. I smiled to him.

“Well it’s their loss I guess on the great stories.”

“Yeah. They’re to busy with their fancy jobs and being greedy.” He chuckled. A nurse rushed in.

“Doctor we need you in room 204! Code Blue!” I nodded. Code Blue is cardiac arrest.

“You save em doc!” I smiled back to Earl.

“I will.” I ran out. I followed the nurse to 204. There was a few nurses and a paramedic in there with a guy laying on the table. He was all bloody and they had a hand pump over his mouth and nose forcing air in.

“It was a wreck Doc. No heart beat!”

“Ok get me charged up. STAT!” I grabbed the two handles of the defibrillator.

“We’re good!” I got a thumbs up.

“Clear!” I yelled. Everyone stepped back and I heard the nurse repeat to me. I pressed them to his chest sending a shock to his heart. The nurse covered his face putting more air in after I moved. Another pressed on his chest. I looked to the monitor. Nothing. “One more! Clear!” The nurses moved and I heard the repeat allowing me to press again to his naked chest. They did the process again until finally the flat line started beeping as it slowly rose. His heart beat was back, and normal. A nurse turned the machine off and replaced the handles. “Alright get this man to get x-rays asap! We don’t want to risk anything. Get him all the necessary surgery’s if needed. They nodded and started to roll him out. The nurse from the nursing station brought me a new file.  

“Here’s his information that we were provided.” I grabbed it and opened and started reading. She walked off and I started out of the room. I instantly stopped when I saw the name. My eyes grew wide.

“Michael Pritchard!” I said to myself. I closed the file and ran. I had to be sure for myself. There must have been a mistake. I saw the nurse’s with him at the elevator. I got to them before the doors opened. I looked him over and took a strand of his shredded shirt to wipe his face. Everyone just looked at me. It really was him. “Oh my god!” I dropped the cloth and covered my mouth.

“Dr. Lovelace? Do you know this man?” A nurse asked. I didn’t take my eyes off of him. I just nodded with my mouth covered. I was in shock. I cant believe it was really him, and that this had happened. “We’ll take care of him!” The doors opened and they pushed him in. I lowered my hand and stared at his face. He was a bit banged up and his eyes were shut. I wanted to tear up. I gulped as the doors closed.