12. A Few Loose Screws

(Cindy)

I had made it to the hospital at 6:30 am and was making my rounds. Most of my patients were still asleep so I just quietly checked their fluid bags and their charts for medicine dosages. Mike was sound asleep on his back with Billie on his side by Mikes side. They looked adorable sleeping on the small hospital bed, besides the IV’s hooked to Mikes right arm. Tre was on the couch with his arm hanging down. Makaylahs Rubik’s cube was on the floor by his hand; still trying to figure it out. I went out and had a little breakfast with brandy and a few other nurses. The hospital for once was actually calm. “Soooo… How you feeling about Mike?” I looked up from my biscuit to Brandy. She was eating some breakfast burrito.

“What do you mean?”

“Well… that guy Billie was telling me that you and Mike used to date or something.”

“You talked to Billie?”

“Well he kept hitting on my and bragging about all this stuff and it was getting annoying but I was a tad nosey about how he knew you, so he started telling me about how you use to have this big crush on him and that you felt he was too much to handle so you dated Mike.” I chuckled.

“Billie said that I liked him but I felt he was too much for me?”

“Yeah..”

“That’s a lie. I didn’t even know Billie until I met Mike.”

“So you and Mike did date.” She said before taking a bite. I licked my lips and cleared my throat.

“Um… yeah but just for like a day or so.”

“Oh… The way Billie talked you two were in love.”

“I don’t know.  Mike and I were young. I think it was more lust or something. He was different than what I was use too, and I liked that.”

“Different how?” I looked down at my biscuit and picked it up.

“He actually talked to me.” I said under my breath. I bit into my biscuit.

“What was that?”

“He was more of a rebel I guess.” I said with a chunk of bread, bacon, and cheese crammed in my jaw.

“Oh.. That’s cool.”

“Yeah so are you and Billie really friendly or something?” She blushed a bit, and smiled.

“I don’t know. He was a bit annoying at first, but the more we talked about you and Mike he seemed to stop the whole macho thing and we had a descent conversation. I don’t know though… It’s like the more I think about him the more attractive he gets.” I nearly gagged. “Do you think he would even go for a girl like me? I mean I’m here 24/7 and he tours so would it even work.”

“Well honey you never know if you don’t try.” Maybe Brandy could do him some good. She smiled and nodded and continued eating. I looked at the clock. 8:30. Mike is scheduled for a CAT scan at 9:20. It was the only time I could get him in that was before 3. I needed to have him prepped and ready by 9, so I finished my breakfast and chugged my orange juice. I stood up. “Good luck with the Billie thing.” I said patting Brandy’s shoulder.

“Wait you never told me how you felt about Mike now.” She said grabbing my hand.

“We’re just friends.” I smiled and turned pushing the door open.

“You can’t just be friends with an ex Cindy. It’s too hard!” I heard her say as the door shut behind me.

“Not for me.” I said to myself. I wiped my mouth and walked to Mikes room. The door was cracked and I heard some talking. I opened it to find everyone awake. “Wow you guys are up early.” Billie was in the chair rubbing his head and Tre was still half asleep messing with that cube.