7. A Strange Awakening

I made my rounds really quick and made it to the break room for some coffee. It was 8:30 a.m.

“Wow Doc. It looks like you’ve pulled an all nighter!” Brandy said. She was one of the head nurse’s and was usually the one by my side helping me.

“Yeah and I’m planning on being her much longer.” I started pouring the coffee in my mug.

“Yeah we heard about the guy in 204. So what’s the story?”

“I’m not sure; I just know he was in an accident.” I turned and stood by her.

“No! I mean what’s the story with you and 204?”

“Oh.. well… We were just old high school friends.” I took a sip.

“Just friends? Uh huh, really?”

“Yes! Now excuse me. I have to go check on my patients. I’m glad you made it by the way.”

“Aww thanks!” She smiled just before sipping on her health shake. I nodded and stepped out. I dropped a few files on the nurses’ station.

“File those for me.” I told the nurse sitting down for the morning shift. I saw Susie giving out breakfast. I stopped her before she entered a room.

“Hey was Mr. Simmons given his breakfast?”

“Yes and I made sure he took his medicine first.”

“Good!” I smiled and let her continue. I went to walk to his room but 204 caught my eye. The nurse was stepping out. “How is he?” She handed me his chart.

“He’s sleeping. Probably will be awhile longer.” I nodded and she stepped away. I reads his chart. Cardiac arrest, concussion, three fractured ribs, bruised skull, several sprang’s, and hairline cuts. Basically he was in a car wreck and got banged up a bit. I stepped in the room which was slightly dark because the curtains where pulled.  I stepped to him. he had an IV and his head was wrapped in a bandage; his hair a bit blonder than before. He had a black eye and a busted lip. The poor thing. What would I say to him if he woke up? Could I be his doctor? He really broke my heart. For awhile I actually thought he loved me, but it’s clear he didn’t. I felt bad yet I could feel that same rage as before. Why did he have to come to this hospital! I had to get out. I left closing the door. Come on Cindy focus! You need to see Earl!

(Mike POV)

I woke to the sound of beeping. I kept my eyes closed for awhile, mostly because they hurt. I tried to move but I had something wrapped around my torso. Oh shit I forgot, I was in a wreck.; Shit everything hurts. I slowly opened my eyes. Everything was blurry. I slowly blinked and turned to the source of the beeping. I looked for the time. Shit, all of these high tech machines and no time. I rolled the other way to see a pair of blue eyes looking into my own. I slid my head back a bit to get a better look. It was a little girl. She had light brown hair almost a dirty blonde. It was straight and to her shoulders. She had a pin holding her bangs back.

“Hi!” She said with a smile.

“H-Hello.” My voice was a bit raspy I cleared it. “Um, do you know the time?” She smiled and looked at her watch.

“ 10:17 in the morning.” She turned her arm and showed me a green digital watch.

“Thanks.” I noticed her chewing and I could smell the bubble gum scent floating in the air. “Sooo.. Whats your name?”

“Makaylah!” She said sweetly.

“Oh hi. I’m Mike.”

“I know. Is it true you’re in a band? I heard the nurses talking.” I smiled.

“Uh yeah.” I actually blushed a bit.

“That’s cool.” She said casually.

“Yeah, I guess it is.”

“So is your last name really Dirt?” I giggled but not long. I stopped when my ribs hurt.

“It’s Dirnt, and that’s just a stage name. My real last name is Pritchard.”

“Oh… Mines Lovelace. I like it. It has love in it.” Old memories flooded in as I smiled.

“I had an old friend whose name was Lovelace.”

“Really?” I nodded. “Was it a girl?” I nodded. “Was she pretty?”

“Yep. The prettiest, just like you!” She smiled.

“Makaylah?” I heard a different voice.

“Oh know it’s my mom. I’m not supposed to be in here.”

“It’s ok I don’t mind the company.” She smiled and the door opened wider.

“Makaylah?” I heard a whisper. I looked at the door and my eyes widened.

“Cindy!?” She smiled but you could tell it was awkward and fake.

“Makaylah what did I tell you!?” She said in a stern voice.

“I’m sorry mommy.” She stepped to the door and Cindy walked to me. I was still in shock.

“Hey Mike, I’m glad you’re alive and awake.” She stared into my eyes. I just smiled slightly.

“Th-that’s your, Cindy I.. wow..” She smirked. “I’m sorry I just can’t believe it’s you!”

“I know. I was as shocked when I saw you half dead lying on the table.” Her smile faded and she was more serious.

“I died?”

“Only for a minute, but I got you back.” She smiled which made me smile.

“Mommy’s a hero.” I heard Makaylah in the background. I looked at her.

“Yes she is.” I smiled and faced Cindy again. She sat up and started changing my fluid bag hooked to my IV. I looked at Makaylah and then started thinking. Hmmm. “So how old is your daughter?”

“She’s 7.” Oh shit! She’s mine! Why wouldn’t she tell me? I didn’t want to just bring it up.

“She’s beautiful.”

“Thanks!” Makaylah said. I smiled. Cindy finished.

“There buzz if you need anything.”

“Actually can I talk to you?”

“About?”

“Um..” Damn how do I ask, I mean she could be mine. It makes sense. I’m sure she would’ve told me thought. Shit.

“Mike?” I heard her.

“Oh-“

“Babe?” I heard a male voice. A head popped in. It was a blonde with blue eyes. He was clearly not Cindy’s type with his suit and tie.

“Daddy!” Makaylah said running to him. Oh. Cindy turned and gestured for one minute. The man nodded and stepped out with the girl.

“Sorry, you were saying?”

“Oh. Yeah, um it’s just really good to see you again.” She smiled and nodded.

“You too Mike. I’m going to be your doctor until you can leave.”

“when will that be?”

“Hmm we don’t take Cardiac arrests lightly so maybe in 3-4 days depending on how you improve.” That should be enough time to figure out just what the hell happened.

“Ok, Thanks doctor Love!” I gave her a perverted smile. She rolled her eyes smiling.

“You’re welcome.” She turned and stepped out. Damn what a day.