16. Word Vomit

(Cindy)

I stood and moved closer grabbing Makaylahs hand. “Baby?”

“Mom.. What happened?” She tried to move but I pushed her shoulder back down.

“Shh sh.. No baby don’t move. You were in an accident. You need to get your rest.” She nodded slightly. “Are you hurting?”

“No..” She said lightly as she yawned. “Just… sleepy..” She kept her eyes closed. I kept a hold of her hand and her head slowly fell to the side. She fell back to sleep.

“Oh my god, is she dead?” Tre whispered in a panic. I looked to him.

“No just sleeping.”

“Oh thank god!” He placed a hand on his chest. Billie put an arm around him. “Good, cause I almost got this.” He pulled the Rubriks cube from his pocket. Everything was close to matching up. I eased her hand down and turned to Mike.

“I have to go back to work, she should sleep another hour or two, maybe three. Do you think you guys could stay here till my next break?” He smiled.

“Of course!” I nodded.

“Thank you. Oh and if she does wake before I get back, please don’t say anything about Steven leaving and the whole dad situation.” His smile faded. I could tell he was desperate to tell but I wanted to sit and talk to her. “Please?”

“Ok… I won’t.” He gave me a slight smile. I nodded and bent down giving him a one armed hug. I wiped my eyes and stepped out.

-Two hours later-

(Mike)

We were watching TV surrounding Makaylah when I heard her make a noise. I got up and stood beside her grabbing her hand. “Makaylah?”

“D-daddy?” I smiled. Her eyes slowly opened. “where’s dad?” I bet at my jaw. I wasn’t sure what to say. I looked to Billie who shrugged and then back to her. “He’s out right now.”

“Is he ok?” I brushed her bangs back.

“Yeah.”

“Where’s mom?”

“She had to go back to work sweetie.”

“Oh… What time is it?” I looked to the clock then her.

“It’s 1:30.”

“I thought you were leaving at 10?”

“Well I was.” She smiled.

“You waited.” I smiled back.

“I did, and I’ll be here until you get better ok?” I nodded lightly.

“I’d like that.” She smiled but then it faded and she looked like she was hurting. “My side.” She went to grab it with her free hand but I grabbed her hand.

“No babe you can’t touch it. Are your hurting real bad?”

“Yeah..” She said as a tear formed in the corner of her eye. I laid her hand beside her and hit the nurse button.

“Someone’s coming just don’t think about it ok?” I said softly. I heard her sniffle and she nodded. “Everythings going to be ok.”

“I’m just s-scared.” Tears started falling.

“Oh no, don’t be scared. I’m here, and look Billie and Tre are here.” I smiled and they moved beside her.

“Hey kiddo.” Billie said to her. She sniffled and smiled a bit.