13. Rainbows And Pasta!

(Mike)

  I was so nervous with Steven in here. He knew a lot about me and Cindy. I hope he doesn’t start asking questions. We sat there in silence but my mind was screaming and I knew his was to. I cleared my throat.

“So uh.. How did you and Cindy meet?” I didn’t know what else to say. He leaned back in the chair and smiled to me.

“Oh well, when she moved to Los Angeles she moved into my neighborhood. She was just a few houses down and I saw her struggling to get a box out of their truck. Her dad was moving some furniture in, so I went to help her. She wasn’t very nice at first, but then she was telling me about this guy who cheated on her back home. She said he was a real jerk.” Oh thank god he doesn’t know it was me! I didn’t cheat on her though. I wanted to yell it out, but I knew it’d make things worse. “She told me his name but I forgot it. Started with an M though.” Oh shit. “Mitch… MM Michael maybe..” He looked at me and chuckled. “Mike haha, somewhere along those lines.” I chuckled nervously. “Anyway, we hit it off and she got pregnant. Of course I was terrified but I knew I had to be a man about. I was only 16 at the time.” I nodded. “Never in a million years at that time did I think I would lose my virginity to a beautiful girl, and become a father in a matter of two and a half weeks.”

“Yeah.. how long did you two know each other?”

“close to three weeks.” He chuckled.

“Wow.” He nodded.

“Don’t think of Cindy as easy, she had only been with what’s his name and no one else.”

“Oh I don’t” Yeah you bastard, just remember you weren’t the one who had her first, I was. You’re just a rebound. I smiled to myself a bit. “So how come you guys are still just engaged and not married?”

“Well I tried to then, but she said she didn’t want to marry just because of a baby. She also felt we were to young and should wait a while. I agreed. When we turned 20 Makaylah was merely 3. We talked about it the, but she was just beginning her fourth year at the university. She had so much stress on her from college and Makaylah. We came to an agreement then when Makaylah was older and that we had both settled into a career, then we would get married. It sounded reasonable. So then I just asked her on her 24th birthday. Know we’re engaged and just taking it a day at a time.”

“You haven’t set a date yet?”

“Nope. I assume it’ll be within a year or two. She’ll be coming into some vacation days soon so then we can start figuring the dates and what not.”

“That’s good.”

“Yeah. I’m so ready to be married to her.” He grinned. I smiled but of course its fake. “Yeah and with this new promotion she’ll be getting soon, I can’t wait. Bigger checks and smoother lifestyle.” He put he’s hands behind his head. I looked over with scrunched eyes.

“So you want to marry her for money?”

“What? No… but that will be like a small bonus. I make my own money. Of course not as much as her but I’m slowly moving up.” I bit at my jaw.  I thought a minute and smiled.

“So she’s kind of like a sugar momma huh?” I chuckled. He chuckled.

“Only by a little bit.” He turned to me and smiled. I smiled back. “Don’t get me wrong I love her with all my heart, it just helps to know that if my business plan doesn’t go through we have something to fall back on until it gets picked back up.”

“Understandable.” I smiled. The dog! “I hope things go well. Does Makaylah not wonder about you and the marriage thing?”

“Actually we had a talk with her about it when she was 5. She got a little curious so we told her our plan. Of course we left out the whole having a child at a young age stuff. We told her because we wanted to be completely stable.”