22. What a fucking snake

Chaerin stared out of the window as the city of Seoul stared back. A smile formed on her face as she saw the Han river and the numerous people who were roaming around it. Being back felt nice. Being home felt nice.

"Hey Chae, do you think I should get the blue or white pillows for our couch?"

She turned back to see Jungkook sprawled on the bed like a kid on his ipad online shopping. They were currently in the apartment he bought. A sprawling three bedroom penthouse that overlooked Han river. He said that after their marriage they would both move in here and she liked that idea. Even though it was his place and Chaerin was going to live with her mom and dad, he referred to it as 'ours' which warmed the woman's heart.

Ideally they should have moved at his parents place which as Jungkook described was so big, they could live there their entire life and never run into his parents if they wanted to. While that got a laugh out of Chaerin, she still felt it was best to maintain distance from them. It was evident they weren't a fan of her or rather her middle class origins and it would make them uncomfortable sharing a house with her.

"I like the blue one", she said positioning herself beside him. Unconsciously Jungkook wrapped a hand around her as he put the ipad in between them.

"Do you think we can get a pool table Chae?", he asked innocently. The woman gave him a side eye. "Listen this is not gonna become a bachelors pad Kook. I know the grand plans you have in mind, inviting all your friends over and then living the ultimate maverick life. I know Jimin's gonna make you install a music system so him and Hoseok can go crazy dancing and Taehyung can—"

She stopped at the mention of Taehyung, not sure if it was right to talk about the man who she hadn't seen or heard from in the past two and a half years.

"I see its still sensitive", Jungkook said hugging her closer. "We have been here a month Chae, did you meet him?"

"No", the woman replied. "Of course its going to be hard avoiding him because he is your friend and Jimin's literal other half. So if and when I see him, I plan to keep it cordial"

"I think Hyung's moved on but he still has a discomfort around me", Jungkook replied. "He doesn't make it evident but he keeps his distance. Any time we meet with the other boys, he is the fun guy I remember but he never makes the effort to talk to me beyond it. From Jimin Hyung and Jin Hyung's talk I figured he is doing well with his fiancée. I think Arin's her name. They plan to get married early next year. I am happy for him"

"Me too", Chaerin added. "Alison doesn't talk about him much but she does sometime tell me about the important things happening in his life. Like the engagement with Arin, the professor job he has on the side. I am happy he is living well. Nothing wrong in cheering for a someone even though they really aren't your friend anymore"

"I know it is hard to lose a friend", Jungkook softly added. "But sometimes its the best thing that can happen for all parties involved. Time and distance heal people. And maybe in this case it healed him too"

Chaerin smiled sadly but nodded. "I am sorry it had the effect on your friendship as well. I know you cherished him a lot. And now because of our thing you don't really have the same equation with him like you did in the past. I am sorry"

"Its not your fault Chae. In life, occasionally you have to be selfish", Jungkook spoke looking a little dejected. "Narcism becomes a necessity sometimes. At that point I thought what worked best for me. It was either you or him. And I chose you because my love for you exceeded my desire for a friendship with him. I know I sound shallow and self-centered right now. But would I have been able to maintain a friendship knowing he was dating the woman I cherished dearly?"