40. You were wrong

Jungkook walked on the green grass as he tightly held a bag. Reaching a particular spot, he stopped as he put the bag down. He bowed a little in respect as the cool breeze behind swayed his hair slightly.

In the ever loving memory of Dr Kim Seong Ha and Dr Shin Si Mok.

Loving parents to Shin Chaerin

(19XX - 20XX)

Seoul

He bent down in front of the stone as he removed a brush and cleared of the dirt. Getting a fresh bouquet of flowers, he placed it right there as he smiled. Taking a picnic mat, he placed it beside and sat down cross legged. "You know what happened, don't you?", he spoke as if he was talking to real people.

"I am proud of her. For not going through with that. Somewhere within her, there was the old Chae we knew. The one that loved Alison too much to do anything to her"

The wind rustling also brought some flowers and leaves. Jungkook chuckled. If someone was seeing him right now, they would probably think he was acting crazy. But that was just a routine for him. Visiting Chaerin's parents every month with flowers and cleaning their grave. Occasionally he brought a bottle of soju to share with them just like he did today.

"I got this new one", he spoke and removed the bottle on the ground beside him. "And snacks too. Pops remember that chips we used to really like? The one they discontinued? Guess what", with that he pulled a snack out. "They brought it back! I have eaten so many of these past week. I think I am going to get sick. But Esther loves these too. So we know our taste is good. That picky monster is too bougie and eats only organic things. My mother's influence probably rubbed on her", he laughed.

Just as he was about to open the Soju, he noticed something. "What the heck", he scoffed raising the bottle. "When did they start putting bottle caps on Soju like they were beer bottles? How am I going to open this now?"

He tried using a chopstick to pop off the cap but it didn't work. Next he tried to use his teeth to remove but stopped as something struck him.

"This looks like it won't be a good idea. I can already hear my dentist screaming at me", he sighed and took the bottle away. "Ah wait, I'll just call the manager of the funeral house. He should have one. Be back!"

———•••———

Chaerin walked towards on the green grass, holding two bouquets in her hand. She let the earth touch the side of her bare feet that peeked through her sandals as the cold grass soothed the skin.

For the first time she was dressed not as Grace but as Chaerin. She wasn't decked in designer stuff. Just a plain old white tshirt and pants. Something she always wore when she was younger.

Taking a step towards where here parents had been buried, she halted when she saw that someone had already placed flowers. And a picnic like set up had been made. A deep confusion took over her as she looked around. Was Jimin or Jennie there?

"Chaerin"

She turned back to see Jungkook standing there holding a bottle of Soju. She squinted her eyes as she tried to make sense of why the man was here. "What are you doing here?"

Before he could answer, an old man came running towards them. "JUNGKOOK-AH", he yelled. "Take your bottle opener. Thankfully we always keep one. A lot of people stop by to share a beer with their loved ones who are buried here and for some reason no one thinks about bringing a bottle opener. We got asked so many times, we decided we will keep one here"