35. Lets end what we came here for

5 years ago

"I liked the presentation, I wonder why they just gave it 4 points. But again, the jury at this conference is always partial", a man spoke.

"The day they decided to score our university that low for such a ground breaking thesis, I knew that their accolades meant nothing", a second voice came.

Three men walked on the streets of LA as they headed back to their hotel from a conference. "Professor Kim", the first one began. "Why did you not bring your team to present for the art department?"

Taehyung smiled as he looked down, hands in the pocket. "Like you both said, this competition is partial and not worth the galore anymore. We attend because the university requires us to. The students don't have to and I don't want to waste their time making grand presentations to juries that will ultimately just reward their own instead of judging on basis of the art. Plus I would rather have them use that time to prepare for the coming Asia conference which is prestigious and also the money reward is high", he chuckled.

"Prof Kim is light years ahead of us", the man said and slapped Taehyung's back.

"Guys, guys, do we mind if I make a stop here and get some beer? The one in my hotel room is so fucking expensive", the second man sighed.

"Go ahead", Taehyung replied and the trio walked into a nearby store. When they went in, the store was empty. The man grabbed a box of beer he wanted and put it on the counter. "Excuse me", he randomly called out.

At the end of the aisle an employee was mopping the floor. "Coming", they replied and immediately wiped their hands. "Sorry I was just cleaning that space up someone spilled soda all over..."

Chaerin walked out of the aisle mindlessly complaining but stopped as she faced the trio of people in front of her. Her eyes widened at the sight of a very familiar face who was bewildered himself. There was utter silence when no one spoke anything. The other two men could feel the thick tension in the room as they kept looking back and forth between the duo. "Chae", he softly spoke, breaking silence, with a hint of surprise and relief in his voice as he took a step towards her.

"Um we will be outside. Here's the $10 for the beer", one of the men said and put the money on the counter as they ushered out of the store.

———•••———

"I am glad to see you are okay", Taehyung began as they sat in a park outside the store. "I was scared—I mean we were all scared because we couldn't find you. I think I should tell Jimin. He and I, we don't talk but at least he'll be happy that you are safe and sound"

"Jimin doesn't have to know", Chaerin spoke. "No one back home should. Its, uh, I am just not ready to face people I knew again"

"They worry about you. No one has given up just because you left and so much time has passed since", the man spoke. "They all do", he added, knowing very well it was a gamble, mentioning about his sister and Jungkook.

"They wouldn't have done what they did if they worried about me", the woman looked at her feet, fiddling her hands and picking on her thumb.

"I—", the man was out of words as he heard this. He could feel his voice crumble as his throat closed on itself. "I—I am sorry. I am sorry they did this to you. I never got a chance to reach out and before I could, you left. You did not deserve this. And I hope you have it in you to forgive me for this"