Chapter 42: Broken pieces

"Noona"

"Hmm"

"Noona, are you listening?"

"I am Jordan, what is it?"

Jordan sighed as he stood up from his seat to walk towards Chaerin. "Noona, what does the future look like for us? This is the third time I am asking you what our next plan is..."

"I am thinking—", Chaerin began.

"I am thinking about it", he scoffed as he cut her off. "Exactly. This is the fourth time I am hearing this as well. It's been a while since that shareholder meeting and I think you need to focus on other things now. Investors keep calling, Jason keeps calling. The CEOs of all our portfolio companies are calling. They all think you are acting in an eccentric manner. Don't get me wrong — I know what you did was important for you. And I trust your decision. But we cannot just ghost everyone like this. If we made a choice we need to gather the mess we have created."

Chaerin sighed as she pinched her nose bridge. "My mind is a mess right now. I don't know what I should do next. The past two weeks I have been trying to get Alison's family business back in order. I got the ban lifted and made progress with convincing their clients to take them back. I think within a few months they should be able to see revenue generation and their balance sheet getting stronger but till then they will need someone to hold their hands...."

"And what about our balance sheet that is now going red because we are using our money to invest in them and bring them to surface?", Jordan scoffed. "We have certain restrictions on where we can use our cash and what balance we need to maintain at all times. If it goes below a certain level, the banks that gave us loans will come knocking because essentially we are breaking the agreement"

Chaerin tensed as Jordan reminded her that. She needed to do something. Jason was her dear friend but also a shrewd businessman. At the end of the day if he felt her focus was shifting, he wouldn't hesitate to give her a piece of his mind.

"I am going to be in the study making some calls and talking to the lawyers. I made some investments a few years ago in government securities— in case we needed money in a crunch. Let me talk to Damian and the legal team and see if we can remove all of it at such short notice. Also can you please call Alison's secretary and let her know I will be coming today to drop of some documents for her father's company?"

"I can do that Noona. You don't need to go all the way to her house for that—", Jordan interjected.

"No", Chaerin firmly said. "There is something I need to talk to her about. Just do as I say", she replied before standing up and dragging herself to her study.

Jordan watched as she walked away, choosing not to say anything more as he saw her face tense. He knew Chaerin was having a hard time and he hated having to be the reality bearer. He picked up his phone as he headed to the other side of the room to give Alison's secretary a call.

———•••———

"Ma'am", a lady spoke as she rushed into Alison's study where she was helping Esther with her homework. Alison looked up and so did the child. "Ms Grace's secretary called. He said she will be dropping by later to drop some things off and wants to have a meeting with you"

A rush of happiness surged in Alison's body as she heard this. Beside her she could feed Esther get excited as well as the younger one began giggling and tapping at her mom's shoulder. "Mom, is aunty Chaerin coming?", she excitedly began. "Yes", Alison smiled. "Can she stay over for lunch this time? She never stays. I want to show her my barbies and soft toys"