Chapter Twelve - As a Poldark

That night I invited the brothers around for supper, to see how they faired on their trip to Trenwith. They retold their tale to me.

"I'm astonished Elizabeth was that civil." I commented

"They were careful not to tell her their names." Purdue stated

"Or your connection to us. Demelza may not be an official Poldark but she's an honary one like you Prudie. As my most trusted friend and close confidant of us, by adjacent your in hot waters connected to us." I rub my stomach, uncomfortable

"Have you always been a fiend for prayer?" Prudie asked

"Nay, Mistress Paynter. I did live without God in gall of bitterness and the bond of iniquity for upward of 20 year. Though God did pardon my sins and set my soul at liberty." Sam answered

"Now Sam has found salvation stronger than the rest of us." Drake added "Mistress Abigail?" I let out a long breath.

"Yes." I turned my attention

"Sister told me, you taught her to read and write." He began

"I did."

"Do you think you could teach me as well?" he hoped and I gave him a small smile

"I would be happy to teach you." I agreed. There was a knock at the door, Demelza went to answer it.

"Mistress Caroline to see you." she stated stepping aside, then silently calling her brothers away. Caroline told me what happened when she went to speak with George.

"George was adamant, quite certain of it." she stated

"His name was not on any lists?" she nodded in confirmation. I took her hand in comfort.

"Well, I never trust what he says. Ross, has yet to return." I voice

"I hope for all our sakes he is now aboard a ship bound for home." Her statement voiced my thought entirely. I just hoped that it wasn't a wasted trip.

---------

I stood on the shore in front of Tholly, a friend of Ross' father and the man who traveled to France with him. Ross was on his way home after being detained by the french but jumped ship and headed back to get the information he saught for. Tholly handed me my husbands hat. I snatched it from him and headed home to take my frustration out on making.

"Young Cap'n Ross d'most sincerely regret'" i quoted "Oh he'll regret sending home his hat when I'm done with him." I vented my rage

"'Tai't right."

"T'isn't fit"

"Tai't fair"

"Tain't proper." Pride and I agreed

"Since when do you talk like us regular folk with shorten' words and the like, you must be furious." Demelza commented

"Children to raise and another on the way." Prudie continued

"A farm to run and a mine as well. Ugh. How men have the cheek to expect us to sit idle by and do their bidding."

"Like we ever do." We chuckle.

------

I was beginning to teach Drake how to read, starting with our names and guiding him on the sounds when Sam came in.

"What news?" I ask

"He said we must put down our tools and set no foot there again on pain of death." I sigh and took a letter out of my pocket

"Fine, we tried the nice way. Sam deliver this, if you would be so kind." he took it "It is a note to my lawyer, he will know what to do next.

--3rd Person--

A carriage rolled into Trenwith estate. Elizabeth and George came out preparing to leave. out of the carriage came Mr Wainright.

"Mr Warleggan I presume." they stopped "Mrs Warleggan. I am Mr Wainwright a lawyer and I come on urgent business."

"We were just leaving." George stated

"I won't take up too much of your time, please." Mr Wainwright didn't back down. George sighed and they returned into the house.

"What can I do for you?"

"I come here to serve you this." he handed over a roll of documents "I formal request of cease and diciest. On behalf of my client Mistress Abigail Poldark, you are prevented from taking any action of the joint Poldark land where the Grambler meeting house resides. Should you continue in your efforts to remove anyone from that land without her permission, she will take you to court and have you sue or charged with unlawful action."

"This must be Ross' doing." George rumbled

"Actually it's not. As Master Poldark is on business she is the current sole decider as to what happens with her husband's family estate, until his return to English soil." Mr Wainright declared "I am also to inform you that the contract in question does not give you any right to contest since you are not a Poldark."

"But he a trustee and guardian of one. My son, Geoffrey Charles." Elizabeth protested

"The decisions of the land in question can only be decided by a Poldark by birth or by marriage, Mr Warleggan is neither and since your marriage you have forfeit your right in this regard. Until Young Master Poldark comes of age any decisions can me made by the Mistress Abigail or by Captain Ross." Mr Wainwright stepped closer "It is my expert opinion that you let this one go, no good will come to your tenure as magistrate  if you think to challenge Mistress Abigail on this matter." he bowed to them.

"Good day."